3.17.2015

a day in the life

For the past three years I've done a "day in the life" post sometime in March.  Undoubtedly it's incredibly boring for you to read the mundane details of my day, but I think it's fun to look back and see what the heck I did all day and it's become kind of a tradition, so here goes- Friday, March 13th, 2015.

6:30am I hear Mattie chattering away in her room but it's all happy noises so I let her stay there for a while.  At 7 I get her up and go down to watch the Today Show. Bryan leaves at 7:10 and Jilly wakes up and comes down a little bit later.  I ask the girls if they want cereal or a banana muffin for breakfast, they both want cereal.  After eating one bite Mattie says "Wahn cake!"  Cake=Cupcake=Muffin.  So we have cereal and muffins for breakfast.  And, check out Mattie's morning hair.


8:00 I unload the dishwasher, clean up the breakfast dishes, make sandwiches for the girls' lunch and pizza dough for dinner, and mop the floor (my mop is sadly underused so this is a big deal- be impressed.)  Girls play with the little kitchen.


9:15 I let the girls play on my phone while I get ready


10:15 All dressed and hair done!  This is often a traumatic experience involving tears from some or all of us (Jilly hates having her hair brushed and if it were up to Mattie she would wear jammies all day every day) but this day it was pretty smooth.


10:15-12:00 Mommy & Me, Fridays are the BEST because of this program.  We go to the rec center down the street from our house and they fill the gym up with toys.  Kids run wild and the moms sit and chat.  


12:30 We go to the library because the previous day some crazy lady accidentally turned in a dvd case without the movie inside (It's a good thing the library doesn't charge me for all the dumb mistakes I make.)  We read some books and Mattie hoards all the farm animals.


1:30 This is the time of day when I swear time speeds up- I never get as much done as I think I will.  Mattie falls asleep on the way home from the library so I carry her up to bed.  I talk to Bryan for a few minutes while he is on lunch break.  I warm up some leftovers for my lunch and share a little bit with Jilly (she already ate her sandwich at Mommy &Me.)  Then I talk to my mom for a little while while Jilly colors.


2:30- Jillian and I read a chapter of Charlotte's Web.  We have a kind of hilarious conversation about Wilbur being killed to make bacon and the fact that we eat animals.  I don't think she's traumatized, but it's never a fun fact to learn.  Sometimes it drives me crazy that Jillian doesn't nap or do quiet time (my fault for not enforcing it, but she is an extremely social child and always hated it) but I also love this afternoon time we get to spend together every day- I know all too soon she'll be off to school and times like these will be rare.  


3:00 Jillian watches Curious George.  I read scriptures then do some very important research on what pie I am going to make for Pi Day (chunky monkey banana cream.)  I bribe myself with a handful of chocolate chips to get off the couch and clean up a bit.  Mattie wakes up.


4:00 Off to Target.  Jilly and I both need gifts for friends' birthdays coming up, we need pie ingredients, and I haven't had a drink all week so I decide we deserve some cherry coke to go along with our pizza dinner (grape kool-aid for the under 5 crowd.)  And, yes, the paci needs to go but she's been sick for months and months and I have zero backbone.  


5:20 Jillian makes a card for her friend's birthday, I make pizza, and Mattie whines at my feet because she wants me to hold her.  By 6:00 it looks like a tornado has gone through the kitchen and my nerves are shot, but we have a cheese pizza and a bacon & ranch pizza and, most importantly, cherry coke.


6:15 Bryan is home- hooray!!!  We eat pizza + carrot sticks then Bryan reads books to the little ladies while I wage war on my kitchen.  


7:00 More books in Mom and Dad's bed, jammies, teeth brushed, and prayers.


8:08 All is quiet upstairs, I make two pies, then Bryan and I eat popcorn while watching The Dark Knight Rises on tv.  

3 comments:

Shauna said...

I love your day in the life posts. So fun to remember the normal days too!

Unknown said...

I have those green pointed flats you are wearing (Old Navy?). Love reading your blog.

Lisa said...

Okay, it's been waaaaay too long since I read your blog. It's embarrassing. Your hair looks amazing!!! I love it so much. I read all your posts from this one to the present, so I may just do a mass comment (since it's 2am and I should be sleeping--but you know me). Anyway, I love Mattie's little pink crocs and I love the girls' matching leopard dresses! I put the boys in matching BYU shirts one day, but for some reason, it doesn't have the same overpowering cute factor as girls in matching dresses. :) Can't wait to see you all this summer!! p.s. Tell Bryan I think he's hard core for going to the gym that early. I think my days of 5:10am gym wakeup are coming to an end. I think I'm going to try our gym's daycare.