11.30.2012

all is calm, all is bright

My cousin-in-law, Shauntel recently opened a super fabulous etsy shop.  She designs holiday cards, printables, and baby announcements.  Right now if you order a Christmas card you get a free printable as well.  And, that is how I got this printable that I am loving this year.


Thanks to a combination of some big church responsibilities, home responsibilities, and the fact that we are leaving for our month long sabbatical to Utah/Virginia in less than two weeks I'm a little overwhelmed right now.  My head is spinning with lists of things I must. not. forget.  More than any other year I've needed to remember "all is calm, all is bright."  I'm trying really hard to make my life calm and bright this season.  Calm in that I'm giving up things that just don't need to be done (and frankly, can't get done.)  Bright in that I am still remembering and enjoying the things that matter most.

For example, I love beautifully wrapped gifts.  I love pretty paper, handmade cards, and big bows.  Well, this year at the store Jilly begged for Dora Christmas wrapping paper.  And who am I to deprive her of a little Christmas joy?  So this year our presents will be wrapped in Dora paper.  I cringe a little bit every time I think about it, but I love how excited Jillian is.
For the past few days I've been picking a talk each day to read from past First Presidency Christmas Devotionals.  This one has been my favorite so far.  Instead of stressing about decorations and presents and foods I'd love to make, I've been thinking of ways to teach Jilly about Christmas and do fun things together as a family to celebrate.  Hopefully this will be calm and bright Christmas to remember.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't imagine how busy you must be! I wish I could take something off of your to-do list-- please let me know if I can! Thanks for the link to the talk--I'm going to read it right now. :)