11.15.2012

Birthday Week :: birthday outfit

I've been wanting to make Jilly a ruffle skirt for a long time and I figured her birthday was the perfect occasion.  I followed this tutorial and it went pretty well.  I do wish that I had made the ruffle pieces a little longer so they would be more ruffly, and a serger would have made my life much easier.  But, the skirt looks cute on her, and she loved frolicking through the bushes at Bryan's office during our birthday picnic. 

 

I also made her a "Birthday Girl" button inspired by this one.  I cut 2 strips of gold paper about 1.5 inches wide and 11 inches long then accordian folded them.  I hot glued both ends together to make a circle.  Next I pressed down in the middle and smooshed it under my scriptures for 20 minutes to flatten it out a bit.  Last I put a dollop of hot glue in the center and held it together for a few minutes til it stuck.  (I hope my ugly, chipping nail polish doesn't make you as ill as it makes me!)
Then I just printed out Birthday Girl on card stock, cut it into a circle, and glued it on front of the gold sunburst.  I also hot glued a safety pin on the back.  Jilly didn't wear the button all day, but she did wear it to Chick fil A so everyone would know she was the birthday girl.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That's so perfect! After spending my birthday in Disneyland where you wear "Happy Birthday Lisa" pin all day, so everyone was constantly wishing you happy birthday, I came up with this theory that everyone everywhere should win a pin on their birthday. And I love the skirt! You are amazing!

Bmar said...

Im glad you posted this. It's proof that we do in fact use our scriptures.

Erick and Megan said...

Darling little skirt! And ps come use my serger anytime hello!