11.26.2012

Thanksgiving

This year I thought it would be really fun to do a Turkey Trot.  We found one near Oakley (Bryan's parents' home) and convinced the whole family to run that morning.  I was really excited (and a bit nervous since everyone had been training hard and I had been eating ice cream...oops.)

We had to leave the house at 6:30am.  Jilly had a rough night so I was going on 4 hours of sleep, and I slept through my alarm so the morning of the race was very chaotic.  We had driven to Oakley the previous night, and I left my running shoes in the car so there was one less thing to remember in the morning.  

We got to Walnut Creek (where the race was) and I ran to the back of the car to grab my shoes.  Not there.  I frantically searched the car and then asked Bryan if he had seen my shoes.  Bryan, being very thoughtful and helpful, had taken my running shoes into the house for me the night before.  It was so, so dumb of me to not make sure my shoes were in the car before we left the house.  So there I was at the race in just my socks.  

It was 7:10, the race started at 8:00, and my phone said it would take 37 minutes to get to Oakley.  I jumped in the car and raced back to the house.  There wasn't a lot of traffic and it was a beautiful day and I kept thinking "I've got this."  Bryan called as I walked into the house and wasn't extremely optimistic about my chances.  So I headed back feeling very dumb and deflated.  

As I got off the exit in Walnut Creek I noticed the clock said 7:58.  I called Bryan.  As we were talking I heard "5,4,3,2,1, GO!"  The race had started, but he said that he would wait for me at the starting line.  I parked at the first spot I found and ran a half mile to the starting line and joined up with Bryan.  We were some of the very last people to cross the starting line.  

Because of all the adrenaline I actually did pretty well.  We had to weave (with the stroller) through all the walkers which was very gratifying- we were passing people left and right.  Bryan ran the 5K portion with me then I was done and he kept going to do the 10K.  He could have gotten a much better time without me, but was so nice to stick with his loser wife.  We all had a lot of fun that morning.


The rest of Thanksgiving weekend was fun and less chaotic, thank goodness.  We ate a delicious feast, saw Breaking Dawn Part 2 (girls), biked (boys), shopped, watched the crazy cousins play, got ready for Chad's upcoming wedding, and saw the lights at the Oakland Temple.  Bryan and I drove home late Saturday night and listened in the car to Jim Dale narrating The Christmas Carol- the very best way to ring in the Christmas season.  

1 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

Bummer about your shoes but glad you made it work. xoxo