1.19.2015

9 Valentine's books

One of the things that worried me most about our move was coming from a very mild winter to a not-mild-at-all winter.  I can think of exactly one time in California when I thought it was too cold to go to the park.  And now... we haven't been to the park in weeks.  But, the frigid temperatures outside have allowed for lots and lots and lots of time for our other favorite hobby- curling up with picture books.  Lately we've been reading loads of books in preparation for my very favorite day of the year.


I Love You Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt - I discovered this book back in college when I needed a picture book for a class project.  But now it's one of our regular bedtime stories because it's perfectly silly and sweet.  Our favorite page is when the mom makes a bug sandwich for her little monster to take to school.  Jilly loves to squeal "groooooss!"

Wherever You Are, My Love Will Find You by Nancy Tillman - This book is just beautiful and perfectly describes how all parents feel about their children.

Ruby Valentine Saves the Day by Laurie B. Friedman - This is just a bit reminiscent of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but in a much friendlier and love-ier way.  

Fancy Nancy: Heart to Heart by Jane O'Connor & Robin Preiss Glasser - We love all things Fancy Nancy, but I especially love this book because (spoiler alert!) her special valentine is her sister and we're big on sisters in this house.

Happy Valentine's Day, Curious George! - Curious George + a flap-book, we're sold.

The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart by Julie Andrews & Emma Walton Hamilton - I knew I'd love this before we even read it because Julie Andrews can do no wrong in my book, but it really was a very sweet story.  Gerry the Fairy Princess is a little Fancy Nancy-ish and she knows how to make it a perfect Valentine's Day.

How Do You Hug a Porcupine? by Laurie Isop - This one was new to us and Jilly giggled through the whole book.

Plant a Kiss by Amy Krouse Rosenthal - Do you know what happens when you plant a kiss?  It grows and grows til it fills the world with love.  I loved this sweet little story.  Also, the book is full of glitter which is exactly the way we like it.

Queen of Hearts by Mary Engelbreit - We love Queen of Christmas so I knew this would be a winner.  Ann Estelle is an extreme lover and celebrator of holidays, which always makes for a fun story.

1 comments:

Jana said...

you always have the best books :)

...my only complaint about the library here is that holiday books can only be checked out for 2 weeks at a time. It's put a major cramp in our holiday book hoarding and month long reading of said books!