6.05.2013

Mattie's Story

Right after Mattie was born our computer broke.  And we've been waiting two very long weeks for it to be fixed.  I've kind of been dying, but I've read a lot and I'm all caught up on thank you notes, so I guess it really hasn't been that bad.  But now we're back in business!

My sister Leslie tells a 'PG' or an 'R' rated version of Mattie's birth story based on who her audience is.    If you want the 'G' version- we went to the hospital and about 35 minutes later Mattie was born on the bathroom floor.  If you'd like a few more details then read on.

I woke up on May 15th feeling yucky.  I had been up with Jilly for a while in the night so I was super tired and my body just hurt from carrying around extra weight for so long.  We were supposed to meet a friend at the play place at the mall at 10.  I was tempted to cancel, but I thought maybe getting up and going would help me feel better.

We had fun at the mall but while there I realized that I was not just feeling achy, these were contractions coming every 10 or 15 minutes.  They weren't too bad, and I don't think my friend even caught on because she was shocked when I texted her a few hours later that we'd had a baby.  At noon we left the mall and I called my mom and said, "I think I might be having this baby."

We got home and I cleaned up for a while, made us lunch, and we watched a few episodes of Curious George.  I had downloaded a free contraction timer on my phone and was extremely annoyed when it told me I had reached the limit of 20 contractions and had to pay a dollar to continue.  Seriously, who only has 20 contractions?!

At 2:00 I put Jilly down for her nap and laid down myself but I couldn't sleep.  The contractions gradually started getting stronger and closer together.  I texted Bryan and told him that we would be having a baby that night but he could stay at work longer, I'd keep him posted.  I did some last minute packing, cleaning, and getting ready to go.  Around 3:45 I was talking to my mom and told her my contractions were coming about 3 minutes apart.  She told me that it was probably time to get to the hospital, something that I was kind of in denial about.  Thankfully I listened to her and texted Bryan to come home from work.  Next I called a friend who happened to be driving right by our house and stopped to get Jilly (again, such a blessing!)

We got to the hospital at 4:45.  In triage the nurse said I was dilated to a 6 or 7.  They gave us a room, started my IV, and asked what seemed like a million health history questions.  At this point I was hurting pretty bad and was less than thrilled to be discussing whether any of my relatives had a history of heart disease.  Bryan was a champion- as I squeezed all the life out of his hand he answered as many questions as they would let him answer for me.  Between questions my nurse kept telling me that I needed to relax (yeah, she was not my very favorite person in the world.)  At 5:15 we texted my mom and told her that we were all checked into the hospital.

Things were getting pretty intense.  I knew I wanted to try it without an epidural but I was struggling.  I had convinced my nurse to let me sit in the rocking chair, but she would not let me move around (I was hooked up to an iv, though I wasn't receiving any medication through it yet.)  Finally I asked if I could get up and go to the restroom knowing the movement would feel so much better than just sitting there.  Once there I quickly realized that it was time to push- I could see her head coming!  I panicked and yelled to Bryan for help.  A nurse in the hall heard me and came running just in time to catch the baby's head.  She yelled and half a dozen other nurses and a doctor ran in as well.  A nurse helped me lay back and after one push our sweet Mattie arrived at 5:22pm.

Immediately I felt so relieved and so happy.  The pain was over and I felt great.  They asked me if I could walk back to the bed and I said, "yeah, of course!"  They were all pretty surprised as I easily stood up and got in the bed where someone handed me my little pink bundle.  I felt so, so happy and so lucky- she was here!  I had done it!

I kept apologizing and saying I really had no clue she was coming so fast.  The nurses seemed to enjoy a more exciting than average birth and their jokes were endless ("want some fries with that baby?")  I know to most people it sounds so crazy that I didn't realize she was coming but it just all happened so fast.  And, looking back, I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Yes, it was very intense for about 20 minutes but then I was all done and I immediately felt so, so great.  I'm now a believer in no epidural because my recovery was a breeze.  And, hello, how completely adorable is this baby girl?





14 comments:

Shauna said...

I've been waiting for this post. What a crazy story! Congratulations Martinez family - she's a cutie!!

Steph said...

Oh my gosh, that is so crazy! And an awesome birth story :) haha I love it. So glad everything went well and that Mattie is part of your family!

Emily said...

What a crazy story!! I can't believe you didn't have an epidural- you're so brave!! It is a pretty funny story, one to remember for sure! Congrats again on your sweet Mattie :)

Katie said...

No way! This is crazy. Maybe you can make it on the show "I didn't know I was pregnant" - most of them must be lying that they didn't actually know they were pregnant, it is just about telling the dramatic birth story. Congratulations!

Rachel {La Familia Pearson} said...

She's beautiful! And no, I didn't have Emily in the bathroom, but it was a similar fast story for us, too. Recovery is so much quicker without an epidural, but the actual labor can be pretty painful, huh? :) SO happy for you and again, she is just precious!

Anna said...

Sweet! Can't wait to hear how number 3 makes an entrance ;). Congratulations! She's beautiful.

Samara Reynolds said...

Rachel! What a crazy story (wanted to use a more creative word since obviously I'm not alone in my reaction, but I simply can't think of one! ha)!! Did you not feel your water break at all before Mattie was born? I'm glad it was a fast process, and it sounds like you were such a calm champion in the hours prior -- going to the mall, putting Jilly down for a nap, calling Brian and telling him not to rush, haha. You are superwoman :)

The Daytons said...

WOW! So, exciting! I loved this story and all its craziness! She is such a doll! You guys have such beautiful baby girls!

Charina said...

She is beautiful! I can't wait to hear more about Jilly and her new sis! So exciting!

Lisa said...

Yay! Been waiting for this. I wish I was an athlete like you and could guarantee I could get my babies out with one push--I might be tempted to skip the epidural. You are awesome and she is beautiful!! :)

Janette said...

Oh my goodness, crazy story! That'll be fun to tell her one day though.

Monica said...

Wow, that is really an incredible story. Way to go, super woman!! I have had two very fast natural births (I wanted it that way the first round and was on the fence for the second), but I have to say the end part did not feel that way for me. Or maybe you left out details about how crazy that pain is when the baby crowns; I've heard some women enjoy pushing. I was seriously a demon lady by the time the babies were ready to be pushed out. Pushing was the worst part for me. Even though I wasn't technically in labor forever and the recovery has been good both times, I think I'm going to wuss out next time as those last twenty minutes are total h-double E-hockey sticks. Maybe then I'll have a better comparison and like you decide that those last 20 minutes are worth the easier recovery. I loved reading this!

Monica said...

Wow, that is really an incredible story. Way to go, super woman!! I have had two very fast natural births (I wanted it that way the first round and was on the fence for the second), but I have to say the end part did not feel that way for me. Or maybe you left out details about how crazy that pain is when the baby crowns; I've heard some women enjoy pushing. I was seriously a demon lady by the time the babies were ready to be pushed out. Pushing was the worst part for me. Even though I wasn't technically in labor forever and the recovery has been good both times, I think I'm going to wuss out next time as those last twenty minutes are total h-double E-hockey sticks. Maybe then I'll have a better comparison and like you decide that those last 20 minutes are worth the easier recovery. I loved reading this!

Chace & Rivka said...

Hooray! I'm so glad she's here safely and that your recovery was good! It was probably pretty intense, but I'm happy you didn't have a long, drawn out l&d. But it's weird, right! Like, "where did you come from already?!"

And I love, love her name--so cute and fun to say. Enjoy that darling Mattie Claire!