2.06.2013

Quilts for Kids

Almost a year ago I read this post on the Quilts for Kids program.  It's an effort to provide bright, hand-made quilts for children in hospitals.   I thought this would be a great way to get going on my first quilt.  Because the fabric is free (apparently it's not free anymore, you have to pay $6) I wouldn't feel the pressure of having made a big financial commitment.  Also, I was pretty sure (and right) that my first quilt would be no family heirloom.  Not that I didn't care about making a quality blanket to donate, I just thought that not having it around for me to daily analyze all of the flaws was a good idea.   And lastly, I thought it would be a fun service to give.

So I registered late in the summer for my quilt kit.  Unfortunately my kit arrived a few weeks later right when I was in the throes of my first trimester.  It sat in the bag waiting for me to have the energy to actually do something with it.  And then the holidays happened and it sat some more.  One of my goals of 2013 was to finish this quilt by the end of January.

I didn't quite finish in January, but February 6th is close right?  Once I got going it was a fun and not too difficult project.  All of the fabric strips and detailed instructions are provided.  After sewing the quilt top together, I bought some batting (the only thing not provided) and quilted it with my machine then bound it.  And now it's ready to send off in the morning.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It's beautiful! Super impressed, Rach!

Kristen Fitzgerald & Trevor Martinez said...

I am waiting patiently for the Friday five!!!! I look forward to any post about my sweet little niece!