1.20.2014

Jilly's favorite books

For a solid 8 months last year Jilly would only accept princess stories for her going-to-bed-books.  We have the little golden books of most Disney stories and I'm no princess hater but they got old quick.  Bryan and I can recite Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty in our sleep.

Thankfully, this phase ended about a month ago and we are enjoying a little bit of variety these days.  Here are some of her latest favorites:


Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann and Elizabeth Kann.  My mom gave the girls this set for Christmas and a few days later I found a quiet Jilly sitting in her room reading them all by herself (miracle!)  I think Jilly has found a kindred spirit in Pinkalicious.  We read at least one every night, and because I'm sure you're wondering, Pinkalicious is my favorite, Silverlicious is my least favorite.

Life-Size Books by Teruyuki Komiya.  These books are awesome.  I'm pretty sure every child in the whole wide world is fascinated by animals, and these books are full of cool life-sized pictures of wild animals.  We don't own any of the books, and you can't request them at our library (maybe because they're so big?) so we check every time to see if one is available.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle.  We got this for Christmas a couple years ago and it is very, very well-loved.  So well-loved that the book is now in three pieces.  We also love Panda Bear, Panda Bear What Do You See and Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You See.   Jilly especially loves the last page of each book that has all the animals together; she always tries to say all their names in one breath.

Pride & Prejudice: A BabyLit Counting Primer by Jennifer Adams.  I must admit, I love that Jilly loves this cute book.  Each page has something to count from the original book.  Our favorite is Nine Fancy Ball Gowns- Jilly assigns each dress to a person she knows then says "And daddy wears a shirt and tie!"  We haven't read any of the other BabyLit books, but I'm sure we'd love them also.

Jilly's 2012 favorites here.  What are your kids' favorite books?  We're always on the prowl for new reading material.

1 comments:

Steph said...

How adorable! We're still at the "eating board books phase" with Kate at our house, but she does love to turn the pages with us when we have story time :) I think it's adorable that Jilly says "and daddy wears a shirt and tie!" haha. It's so fun to see what they know at such a young age :)