1.08.2014

diy Headband/Jewelry Holder

After I mentioned the jewelry holder I made for Jilly, a couple people asked how I made it so I thought I'd share.  These are easy peasy and fairly cheap- probably why I've made three now!


You need:
piece of wood (they have pre-cut pieces at Home Depot/Lowe's, I've gotten a different size every time, but Jilly's was 3.5 in. wide and 20 in. long and cost $1.50)
hooks (I got a big package a while ago at Walmart in the hardware section, can't remember how much it was, these are similar but I think mine were cheaper, how many hooks is up to you- Mattie's has 3, Jilly's has 5, and mine has 9)
one piece of scrapbook paper
mod podge
foam brush
paint
sand paper
ruler/measuring tape
drill

1. Sand your wood.  I hate, loathe, and despise sanding so I do the bare minimum.

2. Paint your wood- you really only need to paint the edges since that's all you see.

3. Cut your scrapbook paper into 2 strips.  Since Jilly's board was 3.5 inches wide, I cut my paper to be 3 inches so I'd have a 1/4 inch border at the top and bottom.

4. Paint your board with mod podge, lay the paper down, then cover the paper with a layer of mod podge.  You don't need two whole strips of paper, I glue one strip down, then line up the second strip and cut off what I don't need at the end.

5. Let the mod podge dry then measure where you want your hooks to go and make little marks.

6.  The drill is one of those things I have decided is husband-only territory (like the grill- I'm never going to learn how to use it so it's always his job, a nice break for me!) so I had Bryan drill small holes at my marks.  This makes it much easier to screw the hooks in. (This tip came from Lisa after I just about broke every single one of my fingers screwing those darn hooks in the first time.)

7.  Drill (or have someone drill for you) two holes in the back so you can hang it on a couple of nails.

8.  Screw in those hooks, hang it up, and add your jewelry/headbands/whatever else you think of!

^^ I'm not quite sure why I chose this paper, it didn't match our bedroom then, or now, nor will it ever.  Whatev

2 comments:

Strong Clan said...

I am so excited. In my house of boys I need a place for my small amount of girlie things!

The Daytons said...

Thank you!