12.26.2013

Remember when I used to read?

Yeah, me too.  I read a whopping 5 books this quarter, making my yearly total 32.  I would feel worse about it if I didn't have such darling little excuses.


28. Divergent by Veronica Roth - I was hesitant to start yet another dystopian trilogy, but was very pleasantly surprised.  I liked that it had less violence and a better love story than Hunger Games.  I must say though that from the one preview I've seen I'm not certain I'll love the movie.

29. Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin - This was very similar to The Happiness Project, which I loved.  For the most part I really like Gretchen Rubin's writing, and I made a few resolutions of my own after reading.

30. The God Who Weeps by Terryl and Fiona Givens - Yikes, this took a lot of brain power to get through.  The Givens' (who I knew very well growing up) are extremely intelligent and well-spoken.  Even though I had to re-read many many sentences and frequently look up words I thought it was a beautiful book.

31. Insurgent by Veronica Roth - Looking back, I can't really separate Insurgent from Divergent.  I liked it just as much as the first, and immediately started the last book in the trilogy when I was done.

32. Allegiant by Veronica Roth - My sister warned me that I wouldn't like the ending, and while I didn't necessarily dislike it, it isn't the ending I ever would have chosen.  But I suppose it's terribly difficult to end a series like this (see Mockingjay and Reached).  I really enjoyed reading this series; I loved the characters and thought the plot was exciting.

First Quarter, Second Quarter, Third Quarter- each list gets progressively smaller.  We'll see what happens next year in the reading department around here.

1 comments:

Katie said...

Your title captured my sentiments about my own reading exactly. Audio books have been my saving grace lately - I listen while I clean, drive, walk the dog, etc., but I still wish I had more time to sit and read a physical book.

I have been wanting to read Happier at Home. I think I will pick it up for January.