12.02.2013

Christmas Book Countdown

Last year I had great intentions of wrapping Christmas books for Jilly to open and read one each night.  I did wrap a few, but I started too late to get any from the library, and we left Dec 15th for Virginia so there just wasn't enough time for me to get my act together.  This year I was determined to make it happen.

Early in November I started to check out the holiday bookshelves and request books.  This means that many of my books are due back in early December which will be kind of tricky.  I wrote the name of each book on the back of the wrapping paper just in case I can't renew (an excellent tip from Janssen.)

And, speaking of Janssen, this year she spent a great deal of time compiling a wonderful list of holiday books.  So if you want a thoughtful and well-researched list go here.  But, if you want my much less researched and less thorough list you're in the right place.

We started last night and Jilly was thrilled to have a present to open (especially since we came home from our trip with lots of presents she's not allowed to open for 24 more days.)  It was fun to have a new Christmas book to read in addition to our usual lineup of princess stories.

Also, as a disclaimer, we don't quite have 24 books so there won't be one every day.  The chances of us unwrapping a book and reading it every single night in December are slim to none so I'm not concerned.


Books we own-
1. Great Joy - The story will be a little over Jilly's head but the illustrations are beautiful.
2. Twas the Night Before Christmas - a classic, and I memorized all the words with my fourth graders and I always love a chance to show off (Jilly is sure to be impressed.)
3. All About Jesus - a funny little book that came from the Target Dollar Spot
4. Queen of Christmas I love Mary Engelbreit, and this story about a girl obsessed with having the perfect Christmas is right up my alley
5. The Teacher's Night Before Christmas - a fellow teacher gave this to me and it brings back so many memories of fun and crazy Decembers in a classroom
6. This is the Stable - a sweet book telling about Christ's birth
7. The Polar Express- pure magic, I believe it's impossible to not love this book
8. Gingerbread Baby - kind of long for a three-year-old but fabulous illustrations
9. I Spy Little Christmas - "I Spy" books are always a hit, this one is a nice small size to keep in my diaper bag after we've opened it

Books from the library- (In all honesty, I haven't read a lot of these, I've either heard good things about them or thought they looked cute)
10. The Christmas Quiet Book  - I love all of Deborah Underwood's books
11. Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
12. One Starry Night  - These illustrations are so pretty
13. A Song in Bethlehem
14. Christmas is Here
15. Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
16. Snowmen at Christmas - another book that brings back great teaching memories
17. Llama Llama Holiday Drama - we love the Llama Llama books
18. Millie in the Snow
19. Santa Mouse
20. Christmas in the Country
21.  The Best Christmas Pageant Ever - I love this book, and am delighted by a children's version

1 comments:

Gleason Family said...

Ah, now it all makes sense... That's where all of the good Christmas library books went... To the Martinez house! We were wondering! Smart mommy! :) happy reading! Let me know when you return them! :)