4.02.2013

Books: First Quarter

Last year I wrote my book lists every 6 months.  But it was hard for me to remember every book after that long so I decided to make quarterly lists this year.  Next quarter should be very interesting; when Jilly was a newborn I read a lot but I have a feeling my quiet, baby snuggling time will look more like sideline refereeing this time around.

Excellent:
1. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain- This book was fascinating, and I could not stop talking about it during the few weeks it took me to read.  I feel like I now have a better understanding of both introverts and extroverts.
2. Bomb: The Race to Build-And Steal- the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin- Another excellent nonfiction (have I turned into a complete nerd?)  Sheinkin made the story of the creation of the atomic bomb so interesting and so accessible; this is a fabulous book for both adults and children.
3. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls- This is the story of Jeannette Walls' grandmother; a strong and determined woman who thrived in the desert.  I loved it.

Great:
4. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls- I had to read this again after reading Half Broke Horses (I originally read it in 2011.)  The dynamics of this family are just so fascinating to me.
5. In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson- This was very good, but my least favorite of his books I've read thus far (Thunderstruck was my favorite, with Devil in the White City second.)  I kind of felt like it read more like a textbook than his other books that read more like novels (yet are nonfiction.)  This book tells about the family of US Ambassador William Dodd who lived in pre-WWII Germany and had to deal with the rapid and shocking changes brought on by Hitler.
6. Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage- Mo LoBeau is a southern Flavia de Luce so naturally I adore her.  This was a cute murder mystery story, and I found the little southern quirks of the characters irresistible.

Good
7. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate- A very sweet story, especially appealing for animal lovers.  I also found it fascinating that this was based on true events.
8. Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freeman- A beautiful story of love and struggle in the Canadian wilderness.  It kind of reminded me of a cold version of These is My Words.
9. Toilet Training in Less Than a Day by Nathan Azrin and Richard Foxx- Clearly not the most exciting book I've ever read, but it was very helpful and entertaining.

Meh:
10. Reached by Ally Condie- This is a series that I thought started out great then went downhill.  By the time I got to this book (the third and last of the series) I was sick of the characters and barely cared about what happened in the end.  Am I being harsh or did anyone else think this?

5 comments:

Emily said...

I just finished Reached a few days ago, and I couldn't agree more! I finished it and didn't love it. The first book was SO good and interesting and the second book was too much hiking in the middle of nowhere and the third was too much medical drama! I had high hopes, but felt left down! I'll have to try out some of your suggestions!

Rachel {La Familia Pearson} said...

I finished Reached a month or so ago, and I agree. Was almost feeling relieved that the story ended finally. :) Your nonfiction books look really interesting. I think I'll have to get nerdy, too! ;)

Katie said...

I read Matched and liked it okay, but did not love it. When I heard bad reviews from everyone (blogs, goodreads, conversations), I decided not to bother with the next two. I'm sorry it didn't get better - it had potential.

Shauna said...

I'm sure you'll be able to get in some good reading time while nursing your little one. I was able to read more with Peyton than with Corbyn because of the Kindle (didn't get it until after Corbyn was done nursing).

I guess I'm the odd one out. I'm almost done with Crossed and I've liked it much more than Matched. I'll have to see what I think of Reached next.

Janssen said...

That series really crashed and burned, didn't it? Only Matched was any good. ..