4.03.2012

Recommendations

In the summer of 2008 I went out to lunch with a couple of friends.  We started talking about books and one friend mentioned that she had just read an excellent book.  And thus my love affair with The Wednesday Wars began.


One day in 2009 I headed to what was sure to be a boring faculty meeting.  For some reason I sat by a first grade teacher (we almost always stuck together in our grade levels.)  She told  me about a book she had spent all weekend reading.  I have since read Vienna Prelude and only have 2 books left in the Zion Covenant Series.  

I persevered through Rebecca (and eventually loved it) because of my mom.  She also recommended Unbroken, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and many, many other books to me.

Janssen is an amazing source for book recommendations.  Just this year I've read The Happiness Project, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, and The Magic Room (all of which I loved) because she enjoyed them as well.

Book recommendations from friends are invaluable, but I think they're also very scary to give.  I always worry that someone won't like a book I suggest and it will reflect back on me.  Enter the internet; it's impersonal enough that I'm not afraid to share.  I love using goodreads and sharing books on my blog.  In the past few weeks two of my cousins sent me messages saying they had read and enjoyed some of the books I had read.  I can't tell you how happy that makes me!  So, please tell me about books you're reading, but don't ever tell me if you don't like books that I suggest (just kidding!)

1 comments:

Janssen said...

It IS so scary to share a book! but so gratifying when someone loves it.