4.18.2012

Breakfast

A couple weeks ago I came to the realization that I don't really like cereal.  I've always eaten it because it's easy, but really there are so many better things to have in the morning.  Like muffins.  I decided muffins were the perfect breakfast food because A. they can be made in advance and kept in the fridge/freezer, B. when I need a snack before lunchtime, I can pop another muffin and not feel too guilty, and C. there are so many delicious muffin options.

I've looked around and tried a few recipes, some better than others.  But this recipe has been the greatest success of my muffin trials.  I first found it on pinterest and when I clicked on the link it took me to a blog called "Sugar Free Mom."  I almost ditched the recipe right then because sugar free is obviously not my style.  But they looked completely delicious so I decided to give them a try.  Yum, yum, yum.

Baked Oatmeal Muffins
from Sugar-Free Mom

2 eggs
2 cups applesauce
5 cups oats
1 banana, mashed
2 3/4 cups milk
6 packets of Stevia or 3/4 cup honey (I've always used honey)
1 tbl cinnamon (I add a very heaping tablespoon)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana, and stevia/honey in a bowl.
3. Add oats, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and mix well.
4. Pour in milk and combine.
5. Spread batter (which will be very runny, don't worry) in muffin tin.  (I think it's best to use muffin liners and spray them with cooking spray, these are very sticky.)
6. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

Some extra notes:
- The recipe says you can add toppings like raisins, choc chips, and nuts.  We've never done this, but I'm sure it would be delicious.
- We've had these hot and cold, both are delicious
- The recipe says it makes 18 muffins, but I've always gotten 24.  I've also halved it to only make 12.
- The recipe also calls for 1/4 cup flaxseed meal but that is not an ingredient I have on hand so I've never added it and couldn't tell the difference.
- Beware, these are so delicious that Jilly insists on licking the muffin liner which always ends up disintegrating in her mouth which can't be healthy.

1 comments:

Emily said...

I'm with you on the hating cereal business. I started to boycott it in middle school and would take a granola bar and apple juice instead!

I love muffins! Thank you for giving these your seal of approval :) I have seen these floating around pinterest but you never know if it really is a good recipe!! I'll definitely try it now :)