1.12.2012

How it's done

After your kind comments on this post, I was feeling really great about myself.  Then I read this post from Janssen, who read 156 books last year.  Woah.  But the girl also eats rutabaga, so I'm pretty sure she's not real.

I've decided to still be impressed with myself and share how I find time to read.  I hardly ever get to read for more than 15 minutes at a time.  For me, it's all about taking advantage of any spare minute.  Some precious minutes include:
- bath time: I sit right next to the tub while Miss Jilly splashes around.  Only problem is this is very dangerous for the books
- pumping gas: I always have a book in my purse so I don't have to stand there and watch my money slip away from me
- getting ready: Not everyone was blessed/cursed with the Rice gene for massive amounts of hair, but I was.  It takes a good 20 minutes to blow dry my hair and I learned from my mom that this is excellent reading time.
- lunch time: Now that Jilly can feed herself (kind of) I can sit next to her and read while I eat my lunch- bliss.

The way I really am able to read so many books is listening to them on CD.  I'm always listening to a book in the car which severely handicaps my knowledge of current music, but let's be honest, it's not going to get much better than the Backstreet Boys so I can feel good about my music taste that hasn't changed since 2002.  I upload CDs to my ipod and listen while running, painting (which I've been doing a lot lately), cooking, cleaning, or when it's Bryan's turn to pick the movie (I kid... but it's been known to happen.)

So, there you have it- that's how it's done.

5 comments:

Janssen said...

Please, you should TOTALLY still be impressed.

And while pumping gas? Brilliant!

Rachel {La Familia Pearson} said...

Books on CD definitely work well for me. Enjoy the spare moments as much as you can...they get a little scarce as you add more children to your life! :) But life is also more and more interesting.

Allison said...

Reading while blow drying hair? Seriously? Please post a video, this one just can't be left to the imagination!! :)

Shauna said...

I know what you mean about Bryan's turn to pick the movie... Right now we're watching Green Lantern. Let's just say it wasn't exactly my first choice.

bec said...

I hardly ever "read", I believe books on the ipod are the only way to go. Great for long runs, doing the dishes, cleaning the house. my fav: audible.com/tvoffer