1.24.2012

All things British

I realize I talk about London/England a lot but let's be honest, my study abroad was most likely the coolest thing I'll ever do so those memories have to last me a lifetime.  This month I've been having a delightful time remembering that wonderful place.  I watched all the available episodes of Downton Abbey, listened to Pillars of the Earth, and read Jane Eyre.

Downton Abbey is just as amazing as everyone says.  I liked Season 1, but I am really loving Season 2.  One of my classes in London was all about "The Great War."  I had studied WWII extensively in high school but felt like we kind of glazed over WWI.  In London I learned so much about WWI and better appreciated the great changes it brought.  I love the WWI aspect of Downton and it doesn't hurt that it also has fantastic characters and story lines.



Pillars of the Earth is fascinating.  It takes place in 12th century England and really brings that period to life.  The story tells about all the challenges the townspeople of Kingsbridge face while trying to build their own cathedral.  Follett weaves through a whole cast of characters that I either loved or loathed; they felt like my friends and my enemies.  Never have I felt so grateful for my modern life.  Life was so awful then- the brutal class system, constant fighting, and terrible poverty.  My only disclaimer for this book is it's definitely a little risqué.  It would have been much easier to skip over the bad parts had I been reading instead of listening.



Oh, I love Jane Eyre so much.  I read it in high school and I liked it then, but I'm sure I skimmed a lot and read cliffsnotes (gasp!) when I just didn't have time to finish my reading assignment.  Books are always much better when read by choice.  It takes place in the 1800's in England and it's interesting how little changed between the 12th and 19th centuries.  Still a brutal class system with terrible poverty.  I love that Jane Eyre is part history, part mystery, and part romance.  It really may be the perfect book.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I absolutely love Downton Abbey, and I agree that the second season is even better than the first.

Strong Clan said...

I LOVE Downton Abbey! The whole show is wonderful and I am totally hooked. Quin Swallow and I both LOVE it!

Lauren@ "Happiness is..." said...

If you love all things British then may I please suggest a television show on the bbc called Merlin. It's about King Arthur etc.... it's probably considered a young adult show and I love it. So if you like that kind of british history type thing then definitely check it out! I think Season 1 and 2 are on hulu right now!