9.28.2011

The Story of Us, Part Five


Pretty soon it was time for me to meet Bryan’s family and I was very very nervous.  We made the long drive to CA for Thanksgiving.  We had fun at the beach, seeing the lights at the Oakland Temple, and going to San Francisco.  I loved being with Bryan’s family and knew these were people I could be related to.  The only hitch was when Bryan got not one but two speeding tickets on the drive home (stupid construction zones.)  After that I knew I had seen Bryan at his most frustrated and grouchy. 
 San Francisco

In December Bryan and I went on one of our best dates.  He surprised me and took me up to Salt Lake to see The Christmas Carol.  Around this time I started feeling pretty confident in this Bryan guy.  I started to give little hints that maybe it was time for us to talk about getting engaged.  Bryan kindly told me “slow down crazy” (can you imagine how many times he’s told me that in the past 6 years?)

We each went to our own home for Christmas then he came to Richmond for the last part of Winter Break.  Meanwhile we had both had a change of heart.  Bryan came ready to talk about marriage and I had decided that maybe being a kid was really fun and marriage was too scary.  Bryan loves to tell people that I dumped him the night he got to my house (my story is obviously quite different- I hardly dumped him, I just told him I wasn’t as ready as I had been before.)  I’m afraid I made the visit a little awkward for Bryan but we still had fun.
 Monticello

We returned to Provo and it took me just a few days to figure it all out.  I was 100% in and luckily he still was too!  I knew a ring was coming and I couldn’t help but wonder every morning if that was going to be the day.  (Can you imagine how much pressure I was under to look good every day?!?  those were rough times.) 

On Valentine’s Day Bryan told me he wanted to go see his cousin’s hockey game in Park City.  We had been on a fun date up to Park City a few weeks earlier and had eaten at a great restaurant so we planned to go back.  But when Bryan picked me up he seemed flustered.  “We’re not going to Park City anymore,” he said.  I figured the game had been canceled or delayed or something and he was just stressed trying to figure out a Plan B.

We went to Carrabba’s (our favorite) and put our name on the 3 hour waiting list and then Bryan went back into ‘trying to figure out what to do’ mode.  We went back to my apartment so I could show him the cute Valentines my students made me.  That took a little while, but we still had time to kill before we could go eat. 

We drove around and ended up on Y Mountain at the trailhead.  Bryan wanted to get out and I tried to resist (it was cold!) but he convinced me.  The irony is that for a month I had been planning for this moment and then when it was happening I didn’t catch on until the very last second. 

I realized that Bryan was shaking which was very unlike him.  And then before my small brain could put it all together he was down on one knee.  I don’t remember much of what he said, but I do remember he asked me to marry him.  And, I know this is going to come as a shock, but I said yes!
 We're engaged!
Then on July 6th we sealed the deal.  

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Awww, so sweet! Thanks for sharing your love story. I loved reading it. This last part is where I actually remember knowing you and being in el ed classes together and stuff. I remember when you came to class the next day with your gorgeous ring! :) So fun!

Shauna said...

I met Roger's family for the first time that Thanksgiving too! Cute story - thanks for sharing!

The Daytons said...

Yay! I'll admit I'm sad the story is over:( I really looked forward to reading the next part the last few days! And, like Jenna said, it was fun remembering that time in El Ed as well!

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Awww! Love love love your story! So sweet!