8.08.2011

Improving

During Year 3 of our marriage Bryan told me, "Your cooking has really improved since we first got married," which we all know really means, "your dinners used to be terrible."  At first I felt a little miffed but then I realized he was 100% right.  At least things were getting better.

Two years ago I asked my mom for a sewing machine for Christmas.  I imagined beautiful handmade quilts adorning each bed in our house.  But then I got my sewing machine and realized I didn't even know how to thread the bobbin.  So I've been slowly trying to figure out this whole sewing thing.  My mom also gave me a few kits with instructions to make some little holiday wall hangings.  Last summer I made this one for July:

It was soooo bad.  I'm surprised I didn't throw it away.  I don't know if you can tell from the picture but the binding is completely awful, the bottom edge is so not straight, the fabric is completely wrinkled, and I didn't even bother to switch my thread so there are little blue dots in the seams of my stars.  Awesome, right?

This summer I got another July kit and made this:
Clearly not perfect, but better right? (the angle of the picture makes my edges look really crooked, but they're actually quite straight, I promise!)

Recently I decided to make bread.  I used Kayla's recipe and although they tasted quite delicious, my loaves definitely wouldn't win any award for aesthetics.  Hopefully my bread-making skills will start improving soon.

2 comments:

Shauna said...

I'd say you're doing great!

The Daytons said...

So, I know this post is so old but I remembered you writing about your quilting and I was wondering where you get your kits or where your Mom gets them. I am a beginning sewer as well and I think this size project would be perfect.