9.28.2008

Scatter Sunshine

Last night was the General Relief Society Broadcast which I always love because it is such a great booster. It always seems like while the men are told they "need to do better and be nicer to their wives" we are told that we're doing a good job and don't need to be so hard on ourselves. I guess that's one of the great things about being a woman!

After a very hectic week and three lonely days without my hubby (had gone to CA for a funeral) I was running on low and in desperate need of a pick-me-up. While I truly enjoyed all of the talks, it was President Uchtdorf's that really made the difference to me. I love how he tells cute and funny stories, but then he always gives a very powerful and uplifting message. Last night I was so grateful when he said the we are all creators. We all have the power and ability to make things beautiful, to establish a home where we can have the spirit, to make small, but meaningful differences in the lives of others. We have the ability to help to create life, a gift that I cannot even fathom. I often underestimate the power that Heavenly Father has given us in our free agency. I appreciated the reminder that this is my chance to make something beautiful out of my life.

I loved Elder Uchtdorf's quote from J.M. Barrie: "Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves." It was just what I needed to remind me the best way to solve some of life's problems is to ignore them and get involved with someone else's problems. No matter how bad I have it (and I usually don't have it very bad) someone else has it worse. There are so many wonderful people in my life who are scatterers of sunshine. When I see these examples, it makes me want to develop this goodness and happiness in my life as well. Thank you to all of you!

What a great blessing it is for us to have a living Prophet and other leaders on the earth to teach and comfort us just as our Heavenly Father would if He were here.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I agree. President Uchtdorf's talk was by far my favorite. It was exactly what I needed too. :o)

Shauna said...

That was my favorite quote too! It seems that serving others has kind of been a theme that past couple of days... Maybe someone up there is trying to tell me something. :)