10.26.2015

Third Quarter Books


Since we moved into our new house this quarter most of these books are either A. about home decor or B. books I listened to while painting/unpacking/organizing/decorating our new house.  

Excellent
27. Dead Wake by Erik Larson - I've never met an Erik Larson book I didn't love.  His research is thorough and his writing is excellent.  I'm pretty sure he could turn any event into a fascinating book.  This one is about the sinking of the Lusitania and America's entrance to WWI.  While it is much less violent than some of his others, it still is tough to read about the many lives that were lost.

28. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - This was an excellent book, but I think I did myself a disservice by listening to it rather than reading a physical copy.  I didn't realize that there were flashbacks mixed in with the story until I was many chapters in so I know I missed a lot.  But, we had a really great book club discussion and I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Great
29. The War that Saved my Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley - There is no shortage of WWII stories, but this one is truly unique and so well done.  Ada has been kept inside for all of her 9 years because her mother is embarrassed by Ada's club foot.  When Ada and her brother Jamie move to the countryside to escape the London bombings her life is completely changed.

30. As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes - This was very, very fun to listen to.  There were so many fun little stories about the making of the movie, and I loved how they had anecdotes and interviews from so many of the actors in the movie.  I listened to this while painting my family room and since I now spend a lot of time in my family room I think of the book all the time.

31. Design Mom: How to Live with Kids: A Room-by-Room Guide by Gabrielle Stanley Blair - I loved this book because it was design from a mom's perspective and how to make your house easier/happier for your family.  Some of her ideas I agreed with and some I didn't, but I did appreciate that they all seemed realistic and aimed for a family-friendly home.

32. 41 by George W. Bush - I loved this biography of George H.W. Bush by George W. Bush.  I had to keep reminding myself that it was very unbiased, but I totally drank the kool-aid and am a big Bush fan.  I  loved reading about such a unique and successful family.

33. Young House Love by John and Sherry Petersik - If you haven't heard of Young House Love, you should go to their blog right now (younghouselove.com).  They're taking a break now, but they're an awesome couple who live in Richmond (all people from Richmond are awesome.)  They started a blog to show their house projects and it eventually became full time for them.  They're funny and very like-able, so I loved their behind-the-scenes commentary in their book.  I also filled my copy (that I have since had to return to the library) with post-it notes marking projects I wanted to do.  Some I did, and some I'll have to do next time I borrow the book.

34. Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner - I hadn't read a "thriller" in so long so I really got into this one and read it quickly.  A family of 3 vanishes from their Boston home and we follow their story from their perspective as well as the detectives on the case.  Beware there is some violence and language, this is not my typical book but I did really enjoy it.

35. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell - This was a re-read for book club and it was just as excellent as the first time I read it.  I had to miss book club, and I was so sad to have missed the discussion.

36. The Nesting Place: It doesn't have to be Perfect to be Beautiful by Myquillen Smith - This was another really great design book.  I love her philosophy to do what you can with what you have and stop waiting for perfection.  It's thanks to Myquillen's motivation that I finally have pictures on my wall.

37. A Mother's Book of Secrets by Linda Eyre and Shawni Eyre Portier - I'll take any parenting advice I can get.  I feel like the Eyre's are sometimes a little extreme and impractical (their system to reward their NINE children for chores/practicing instruments/doing homework that involved various pegs and post it notes and getting a parent to sign off nightly had my head spinning.)  But they are an amazing family and I found it fascinating to get a glimpse of how they do it all.

Okay
38. My Life in France by Julia Child -   I enjoyed reading the book and thought it was super interesting, but I found Julia Child so annoying.  I thought she was overly critical of other people (especially her dad) and just kind of rude and condescending at times.  But I do think her story is fascinating and I really wish she'd come cook for me.

39. A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler - My mom told me about this book and before I read it she kept saying how weird it was and I didn't know what she meant until I finished- it is weird.  I still am not really sure what the point of the book was.  But, I did enjoy it while reading and loved that it took place in Baltimore and I knew so many of the places they mentioned (this is why my mom recommended it.)

40. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee - This was about as I expected it would be- disappointing because it was no To Kill A Mockingbird.  But, there were a few parts (most especially the flashback scene when the children re-enact a revival meeting) that were really fantastic.  Most of the book felt a little bit like a rough draft that needed a little more love and editing.

41. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - This was good, but it took me a long time to get into (I had to start it twice before finally finishing) and then I thought the end was quite depressing.  But there was a time in the middle when I was way into they story and couldn't stop listening.

First quarter, Second quarter

0 comments: