2.25.2014

Infected

In the middle of the night on Sunday I woke up to find Jilly lying on the floor in her room sobbing.  I assumed she had fallen out of bed and was scared so I tucked her back in and rubbed her back until she fell back asleep.

In the morning she kept saying that her tummy hurt.  When I asked her where it hurt she pointed to her chest (except for one time when she pointed at her armpit ??)  So I was worried that she had gotten hurt when she fell out of bed.  I couldn't see any bruises, she was breathing just fine, but she'd cry every time she moved.  And walking down the stairs hurt her so badly she was in hysterics.  I called her pediatrician and talked to a nurse who asked lots of questions then finally said we should go to Urgent Care because it sounded like she may need an x-ray.

At Urgent Care the first thing they wanted was a urine sample.  When I took her into the bathroom she started sobbing because she hurt so badly and it finally clicked - she had a bladder infection.  All this time I was so focused on her falling out of bed, but she had probably just gotten up to go to the bathroom and fallen down because she hurt so badly.  She hadn't gone to the bathroom all that morning, and I hadn't noticed her little fever.  I was pretty sure that I was right, but we still had to wait 2+ hours to see a doctor and finally get a prescription.

She's doing much better now - her medicine seriously tastes like candy and she begs all day long for more, and she found a Cinderella band-aid that she stuck right on her tummy and we all know Cinderella band-aids fix everything.  Moral of the Story - diagnosing a three-year-old can be tricky business.

Meanwhile, Mattie has a different prescription for her ear infection from last week so every night we line up the girls to pass out their drugs.  Can winter please end?

I promise Mattie isn't my favorite, she's just much easier to take pictures of :)

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh man I've always wondered how I would know if Peyton got a bladder infection. It's so hard to know with these little kiddos! And I totally take more pictures of Peyton, so I hear you there! You'd think they'd get easier to photograph as they get older, but I have not found that to be true.

Jana said...

I never would have guessed bladder infection I little ones but I guess it makes sense!! Glad she's feeling better and yes, princess band aids make everything better at our house too!