2.23.2014

feeling groovy

Many people warned me that it can be kind of boring to have a baby.  You're often stuck at home and limited by a baby's routine and their many many needs (that you love to fulfill!)  As usual, I thought this wouldn't apply to me, but as usual, I was wrong.  There is nothing more exciting, sweet, and peaceful than a sweet baby, but they definitely come with dramatic life changes that aren't always your ideal.  My first few months with Jillian were quiet and dear but also boring and so so lonely.  My first few months with Mattie were much better; I had a funny Jilly to keep me company and I had built up a support system of other mom friends.  But still, she came with big changes and a much slower schedule (that I sometimes love and sometimes loathe.)


Just last week I realized that the girls and I have really found our groove.  Mattie's on a set-but-not-too-terribly-rigid nap schedule, and she's becoming more independent every day- she plays with toys on her own, can sit in the high chair and feed herself little snacks, and can get around the house on her own two hands and two knees.  Jilly has finally adjusted to a nap-less existence, is a whirlwind of energy and activity, and for the most part she's happy and helpful and never stops talking/singing.  Our days are full of preschool, errands, gymnastics, visits to the library, playdates, laundry, reading books, cleaning, and lots of playing.  I've realized that this time of our lives is nearly perfect- we're busy enough that I don't go stir-crazy, but we're not yet in the gogogo that I'm sure our life will one day become with school and all its related activities.  I'm really, really enjoying this fun little stage with my girls.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Totally! We're on the cusp of that stage and I'm already getting excited. My friend told me that two kids was her favorite stage. I'm a little alarmed because this friend of mine happens to have FOUR kids, but I'm trying to just have that advice help me appreciate this stage. I'm glad you're appreciating it, too. :)

Jana said...

I feel the same way!! Being a mom is so "easy" right now - I'm soaking it up :)

Shauna said...

I think it was when Peyton was 9 months that we finally found a groove as well!