2.13.2014

Crayon Hearts

Tomorrow we're having a Preschool Valentine's Party and I wanted Jilly to have valentines to give to her friends.  After some pinterest searching I realized I had everything necessary to make heart crayons: a silicone heart mold, lot of broken crayons, and an oven.  

I separated my crayons by color, unwrapped them all (worst part of the whole process) and broke them into pieces .

I wanted my crayons to be two-toned, so I chose two colors to put in each mold.  

When I was looking at different sites I found lots of variation in cooking times and temps.  Baking them at 200 for 15 minutes is what worked best for me.  Here they are right out of the oven:

 I let mine cool overnight before popping them out, but I'm sure they'd be ready after 30 minutes or so.

 Jilly sure thought they were fun- she couldn't keep her hands off of them!

 Then I put them in ziploc bags and printed off this cute label.  

I thought this was a perfect time for Jilly to practice writing her name and she blew me away (she does have a pretty easy name to write though.)

Word to the wise- After melting wax in them you won't be able to use your silicone molds for anything else again.  I scrubbed and scrubbed mine but they are not coming clean.  So... I'll be scouring Target for some more molds in the near future.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So cute!! And I can't believe Jilly can write her name. That's amazing!

Kristen Fitzgerald & Trevor Martinez said...

When I grow up I want to be just like you Rachel. :). Seriously though, I wish we dd live next to each other. On top of all the cooking that I would be partaking of I would also love to participate in all your crafts.