2.18.2014

a little Valentine's Party

When we met to make our preschool schedule for this year I employed a little bit of strategy to assure that I was teaching the week of Valentine's Day.  I couldn't pass up an opportunity to have a party for my favorite holiday.  I tried to make it somewhat educational, and I went pretty simple to save myself from strife, but it was a lot of fun.

We made these heart leis.  I gave Clark (our only boy) the option to make a crown, but he wanted a necklace.  One of the girls heard me mention a crown and that's what she wanted and of course her little sister (who I had invited for the party) needed a crown as well.


Next we did some activities with Sweetheart candies.  We did graphing, patterns, and made towers.  

 For snack we had heart shaped pb&j sandwiches and strawberries.  Heart sandwiches have been Jilly's lunch request all month, and the other kids seemed excited about them too.

Then we played games.  I had cut out some big hearts and wrote numbers 1-10 on the back and laminated them.  I played music (the Frozen soundtrack) and the kids played "musical hearts."  When the music stopped, they turned over their heart to tell me what number it was.  Then we picked an action (I had put actions like spin, jumping jacks, etc. on strips of paper for them to draw out of a bag) and they each did the action the number of times their heart said.  Then we did the limbo with a heart garland.  Hysterical.

Lastly I gave them each a sugar cookie to decorate.  I spread the frosting and put out lots of sprinkle options.  They had fun decorating, but especially loved eating their cookies.  And then I sent the sticky, happy kids home.

 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What a fun party! The musical hearts game is genius. What a great way to get them to say their numbers! You're so good at this. I might need to replicate this stuff for Blake's st patty's day party.

Emily said...

Elise saw this when I was reading this and when she saw the picture at the bottom of the post with Jilly eating her cookies she says, "That's me momma, that's me!". I told her that while she has that same dress, it isn't her. I said it was a little girl named Jilly. Her response, "She's my friend mom!" So sweet.

Your joy school kids are so lucky to have the best teacher around! You come up with the cutest activities!