I've been all about Spring Projects this year.
I've been all about Spring Projects this year.
1. Bryan walked in the door Monday evening and told me he was "in mourning." On his bike ride home from work he ran over and killed a squirrel. He's felt terrible about it all week.
2. Jilly graduated to a booster seat this week and meal times have been much, much more pleasant.
3. My mom hates bananas. So, naturally, I assumed I hated them too and never really ate them growing up. Then I went off to college and surprise! I like bananas. Banana bread was also a new concept to me, but one that I have embraced as a welcome solution to brown, mushy, old bananas. I made this banana bread this week and it is tasty.
4. It's been fun this spring to discover the flowers around our neighborhood. Right next to our house we have this beauty-
5. We were planning to go camping tonight with Bryan's parents, but the forecast is not looking very good. I'm not a huge camper in the first place, so camping in the rain is basically my worst nightmare. Solution: Bryan and his dad are camping (die hards) while Jilly, my mother-in-law, and I enjoy soft beds, indoor plumbing, and electricity for the night. In the morning we'll meet up with them, and that will be plenty wilderness experience for me.
4.5 miles and my feet were singing
(yes, I'm wearing 2 different socks, I was trying to hurry and my sock drawer wasn't cooperating)
(hello Monday series inspired by Lisa Leonard)
Posted by Rachel at 9:28 AM
1. Jilly goes to nursery for the first time this Sunday! Her friend who is a year older told us she would "hold Jilly's hand if she's sad and make sure she doesn't eat playdough." I feel much better knowing that Rosy will be looking out for Jillian.
2. I have about a million projects that are half-finished right now and I'm going crazy! I just need to sit down and finish something so I can at least feel some sense of accomplishment.
3. Jillian had her 18 month checkup this week. She's still in the 17% for weight but now is in the 75% for height. Those Martinez genes finally kicked in!
4. Right now I'm reading/listening to 4 books- 11/22/63 in book form, Jane Eyre on my kindle, Graceling on my ipod when I go running, and Small as an Elephant in my car. I love that they're all so different- historical fiction, classic, fantasy, and realistic fiction.
5. For the past few years we've picked a show to watch on netflix during the summer (because summer tv is lame.) In 2010 it was Lost, 2011 was Prison Break, and this year's is . . . 24! I've seen random episodes, but I'm excited to watch the whole thing.
On Saturday we took Jilly to the pool. She learned what daddy does at the pool:
Then we drove to Bryan's parents' house and we went to Lumpy's for delicious burgers, onion rings, and milkshakes. After eating we went to the park, which had these fun spinny chairs- not exactly the brightest idea right after eating your weight in grease.
Sunday morning Jilly practiced walking in high heels. She was actually quite good at it!
At dinner with the whole family Jilly loved playing with Tylee. I found this picture of them playing last year, it's crazy what a difference a year can make!
18 things about our 18-month-old
1. Jilly loves drinking out of straws.
2. Jilly's only allowed to have her paci in her bed, but she's gotten very sneaky- she leaves them close to the edge so she can reach through the bars and grab one. All the time she comes to me with a big mischievous grin behind her paci.
3. She can say baby, woof woof, meow, tweet tweet, pretty, shoes, stick, hot, cheese, hi, bye, mama, dada, uh oh, ah choo, no, yeah, and I did it!
4. She also can say many many things in Jilly language. She has a cute little voice that sounds like a chipmunk and goes nonstop.
6. She takes 2 hour and a half naps. I keep thinking she'll grow out of the second nap, but since she wakes up so early she still really needs the sleep.
7. She likes to rub her face in soft things.
9. She loves "Yo Gabba Gabba" (dumbest.show.ever.)
10. We keep her sippy cup on the bottom shelf of the fridge so whenever she's thirsty she just goes and gets it herself. Makes me laugh.
11. Jilly has 12 teeth now.
13. Her favorite foods are graham crackers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, rice, green beans (canned, not fresh), popsicles, and anything chocolate
14. She insists that we wear shoes at all times. If we aren't wearing shoes, she'll find a pair to bring us.
15. Jilly loves to play peek-a-boo on the hammock
17. When we skype with my brother he always makes a funny face and Jilly thinks it is so so so funny. She's been working on her own funny face.
18. Jilly gives the best kisses!
Exactly eighteen months ago I became a mom. I've learned a lot and have a lot more to learn still. I'm so grateful for this happy, spunky, little girl who makes every day more joyful.
Happy Mother's Day to all!
1. I had a meeting Sunday night and Bryan put Jilly to bed while I was gone. On Monday morning Jilly woke up (at 5:45, ugh) so so excited to see me. She kept hugging and cuddling with me. Melted my heart.
2. This week I let Jilly try painting with some watercolors. I took off her shirt and was very glad I did when she started painting on her tummy! (and that is a perfect view of Jilly's enormous belly button hernia)
3. On Sunday afternoon I was browsing pinterest and found these cookies. Luckily we had all the ingredients on hand and a few hours later we were scarfing down these little yummies.
4. It seems that summer has arrived and we've found our new favorite evening activity- eating popsicles on the hammock.
5. Our library has a waiting list 248 people long for 11/22/63 so I was shocked when I found a copy on the new release table. I quickly snatched it up. The only problem is I only have it for 3 weeks and it's massive! I figured out that I have to read 42 pages a day, and I'm already a day and a half behind.
Last week I went through this thought process-
"Jilly is almost 18 months which means she can go to nursery- hooray!
If it's almost Jilly's half birthday then it is almost Bryan's half birthday too
Remember how I haven't done anything for Bryan's birthday for the past 2 years
(last year I was busy planning Jilly's first birthday and the year before I was getting ready to have Jilly any day)
Bryan's pretty great, he's worth celebrating
I'll have a half birthday party for him!"
And so I invited a few friends over to surprise Bryan on his half birthday. I do realize most people don't celebrate half birthdays, but everybody likes an excuse to get together and eat cake, right?
That summer we took a family trip to Yellowstone and I remember sitting in the car with my cousin singing "Baby Beluga, Baby Beluga" at the top of our lungs. No doubt the adults thought we were just adorable. (Ashley, do you remember this at all?)
Last week I noticed that our library had a wide CD collection and as I was perusing I found a Baby Beluga CD! We brought it home and have been listening on repeat. I'm not sure that Jilly appreciates it as much as I do, nor is she impressed that I can sing along, but I love sharing little things like this with her.
Posted by Rachel at 8:02 AM