12.17.2014

holiday survival guide


Amazon Prime: Between the winter weather that I am slowly adjusting to and two little girlies that must!touch!everything! shopping in actual stores has not been my cup of tea this year.  Amazon Prime has been a lifesaver over and over again.  Not only can I find nearly every gift I'd ever want to give, but also they're often cheaper than anywhere else and are sitting on my doorstep in two days flat.  What could be better?

Hot Cocoa: In high school I went to an early morning Seminary class at church and my sister and I would take hot chocolate with us every day.  Our friends called it our "Mormon Coffee."  Thankfully I don't have any classes to attend in the dark hours of the morning, but I still love hot cocoa, and I've passed on the love to my girls, who both have called it "hot toto."  Jilly's no dummy and tells me almost every afternoon, "While Mattie takes her nap today you and I should drink hot cocoa together."  Done and done.  My hot cup of cocoa helps me warm up and motivates me to get some things done instead of just sitting down to close my eyes for a bit.  I don't have a brand preference for cocoa, I'll drink pretty much anything that's hot and super chocolate-y.  But, I do love to add a dash of cinnamon to my mug and marshmallows are a must.

Smart Phone Gloves:  Apparently I'm pretty stuck on cold weather but these gloves have changed my life.  Now when we're out looking at lights or shopping or just riding in the frigid car I don't ever need to take my gloves off to use my phone.   Seriously, whoever invented these is genius.  There are lots of options: some pretty, some very affordable, some for men (Bryan recently got a pair of gloves just like this and he's sold.)

My New Vacuum: I will forever be a real Christmas tree devotee but that does not mean I love the mess they make.  Also, with holiday festivities we have more people coming over to our house this time of year so I'm a bit more diligent at keeping it clean.  I remember reading a blogpost once that said instead of stressing yourself about cleaning every square inch of your house you should have an arsenal of 2 or 3 things you can do with a few minutes' notice that will make a big difference to you on the tidy scale.  My thing (or one of my things) is vacuuming.  If my carpets are clean and have those beautiful vacuum lines I feel immensely better about the state of my house (even if windows have fingerprints, the sink is full of dishes, and the microwave is a scary sight.)  And it doesn't hurt at all that I bought my vacuum for 50% off on Black Friday.

Mancrates was the inspiration for this post.  If your husband/dad/brother/etc. is anything like mine they are The Hardest People to shop for.  Mancrates is a company that sells crates that are full of stuff men love and, my favorite part, must be opened with a crowbar.  They're an excellent option for some last minute holiday shopping

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Hot chocolate to warm me up and motivate me to move instead of laying like a lump and trying to find "productive" things I can do laying down?! Why didn't I think of that!?