12.19.2014

fa la la la Friday Five

I way overestimated what I could accomplish this week.  I'm equal parts giddy about Christmas next week and terrified that it's coming so soon.  I'm going to have a busy, busy weekend.  But, nonetheless it's Christmastime!  And we're full of spirit and excitement and everything wonderful.

1. On Saturday morning they had a Breakfast with Santa at the YMCA.  If friendliness toward Santa factors into your naughty or nice status I'd say these girls are in trouble.  But they did enjoy the crafts and yummy breakfast.


2. There's a street in Baltimore where every house goes all out with lights.  It's called "Miracle on 34th Street" because the street happens to be 34th Street.  On Sunday we packed some hot cocoa in thermoses (which we didn't even need because it was the warmest night we've had in a while) and walked around enjoying the lights.  Mattie loved pointing out every "Mee Mou" (Minnie and Mickey Mouse) of which there were surprisingly quite a few.  And we had to take a picture of this crab- my girls are terrified of crabs and since they're the unofficial (maybe official?) symbol of Baltimore we see them everywhere.


3. On Monday evening we invited friends over to make gingerbread houses (and by gingerbread I clearly mean graham crackers.)  I made royal frosting, which worked like a charm (3 egg whites, 4 cups powdered sugar, and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar.) Jilly and Bryan got really into it and built a house, a tent, and another cool structure.  And Mattie ate her weight in candy.

Can't you tell Jilly loved it?  I swear she did but would not smile.

3. Jilly finished her first session of ballet and they had a little show on Tuesday.  They did a cute dance to "In Summer" then at the end Olaf surprised them all.  Of course, Jilly was terrified and wouldn't get near him.  Afterward we went to Chick-fil-A to celebrate and the Santa Cow was there. Surprise, surprise, Jilly was not a fan.  But Mattie was brave and went with me to say hi.


5. Jilly has been helping me gather costumes and props for a little nativity we're doing in Primary on Sunday.  It is wonderful to watch her fall in love with the story of Christ's birth.  I am so grateful for the Gift of Christmas and the magic it has brought to our home.


1 comments:

Lisa said...

That picture of Jilly dressed as Mary is precious!!! How did the Primary nativity go?