2.18.2011

Croutons

I love croutons.  They're my favorite part of any salad, which tells you a little about my healthy eating habits.  But lately I haven't liked any of the croutons we bought at the store- too crunchy, too garlicky, too bland, etc.  This week I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I had heard of people making their own croutons and figured I would give it a try.  Turns out it is totally easy and cheap (Am I the last person to figure this out??)

I bought a $1 loaf of french bread at Walmart.  We ate half of it with our dinner and I ripped the other half into crouton-sized pieces.  I melted 4 tbl of butter, added some parmesan cheese, onion powder, and garlic powder.  I spread my bread pieces on a cookie sheet and poured the butter mixture over it then cooked them at 350 for 15ish minutes (I checked on them a lot to stir them around and see if they were ready yet.)  And, just like that, I am a salad lover again.

(not my picture, but mine looked very similar)

4 comments:

Janssen said...

Aren't they a HUNDRED times better than storebought? I looooove homemade croutons.

Katie said...

These look great, and I have some french bread that we will not finish. Nice idea.

Lisa said...

I've always wanted to make me own, but I'm always (surprise, surprise) too lazy. But you inspired me, so I made them and they're delicious! Thanks, Rach!!

Anna said...

yum yum yum! I will not eat a single bite of salad without croutons. I'm glad we have yet another thing in common...oh and a web cam is on it's way. when we get it i'm going to start the web cam book club with you