6.09.2010

Laptop Case

When we got our computer I commented that maybe we should invest in a case (I tend to have bad luck with expensive electronics.)  Bryan's reply was, "Oh no, you can make us one."  Bryan tends to be overconfident in my sewing abilities.  But I took on the challenge and I am ridiculously pleased with how it turned out.  And, it really wasn't even that hard!


Rachel's Laptop Case:
(I found some different instructions online but none of them were what I really wanted so I kind of just made up my own thing.)

1. You need 2 fabrics (I LOVE this flowered print and can't wait to use the leftovers!)  I got the print and a solid beige.  And you need a batting to protect your precious electronic (I got the cheapest one there.)

2. Cut the 2 fabrics in the shape you'll need- be sure that you leave enough extra to do a flap and allow for seams.  (Mine was 26 inches by 16 inches.)  If you do a scalloped edge, I would advise measuring it to make it look even and not just winging it like I did because then it doesn't look very good.  :)  Cut the batting in the general shape you'll need (because it moves around so much when sewing I cut it a couple inches bigger than the fabrics then just cut off the excess after sewing.)

3. Sew all 3 pieces together- batting on bottom and the 2 fabrics right sides together.  Leave about a 4 inch opening.  Trim all the edges (I trimmed them really close) and then pull it through the opening.  Sew up the opening by hand then iron the case.  

4. Sew up the 2 sides- be sure to use the computer to decide where you want the flap to start.  
*I think I will add velcro, I just haven't gotten to it yet.  And, I'm wondering if I should have done the velcro before I sewed it all together.  Oops.
Sorry, these instructions would be a lot better if I had taken pictures during the process but it was pretty messy and I really didn't have any faith that it would actually turn out.  


8 comments:

Shauna said...

I'm so impressed! Good work!!

Jenna said...

SUPER cute Rachel! Love it! :)

Samara Reynolds said...

This is awesome!! Can I order one? :)

Judi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judi said...

I haven't blogged for awhile so I missed your girl update! GIRL!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to be the ultimate, and I mean ultimate girl mom! She will probably be the cutest girl baby ever to exist (and I can say that since i have boys). And since you are like, like basically half way done with the pregnancy, you should start posting pictures! Seriously. I NEED pictures. It is so exciting for me that you are going to be a mom! Post some!

Suzie Soda said...

Whose comment did you remove? Love the fabric and the case......what a talent you have. Start sewing for the baby. Now you can make a matching diaer bag :)

Lisa said...

RACHEL!!! I AM SO IMPRESSED!!! But not surprised. Because you're amazing.

ruth said...

Rachel, I'm not sure if you'll remember me from freshman year (Britney Davis and I were from the same hometown) but I found your blog through the grapevine and absolutely love it! That laptop case is adorable. Congrats on being a mommy to be!

Ruth Kron