6.02.2014

Books to read before you leave home

A couple weeks ago I was talking with some girls at church about the books we would encourage (force?) our kids to read before they left home for college.  I've been thinking about what books I'd put on my list ever since.  Disclaimer: this list is catered more toward girls since that's what I have the most experience with- being a girl myself and having two girls.  I suppose if I ever had a boy I'd have to rethink some of my choices.


Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: Naturally a priority.  My family listens to the audiobooks in the car on long road trips and I hope this is a tradition we will continue.  Also, my friend said she won't let her kids watch the movies til they read the books and I plan on adopting this policy.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery:  I love this book so, so much; I just want my girls to give it a try.  I won't be heartbroken if they don't love it also (just like my mom forgave me for not loving Little House on the Prairie.)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis:  The best of the best.

The Giver by Lois Lowry:  I just re-read this and I think it has such a powerful message.  If my kids want to read any other dystopian novels (maybe they'll be out of vogue by then... call me grandma) then they better expect to read this first.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: One of my very favorites.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand: Just an amazing book.  I really want my kids to read it before leaving home because it gives such great perspective and I love the message of forgiveness.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Every girl must experience Mr. Darcy.

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl: My favorite of his books; I remember reading this as a kid with my dad.

What books are on your list?!?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the no-movie until after the book policy. And yes, pride and prejudice is one of very few books that I own and actually re-read (I'm not a big re-reader). For boys, it's been a while since I read this, but maybe...where the red fern grows? Great list!

Strong Clan said...

I need to re-read the Giver. I don't think I loved it as a kid. I need to give it another chance, it is Will's all time favorite book!