6.21.2014

the time I called 911

On Friday afternoon the girls and I returned home from some errands and I immediately noticed smoke pouring out of the window of the neighbor behind us.  I ran over and rang the doorbell and knocked but no one answered so I called Bryan, "There's smoke coming out of the neighbor's window, I call 911 right?"  Embarrassing that I called Bryan to verify, but this is not something that routinely happens in my everyday life.  He said yes so I quickly hung up and dialed 911.

It felt so crazy to be calling 911- not something I ever expected or hoped to do.  But within just a few minutes the first trucks arrived and we watched the firefighters get suited up and head in.  Eventually there were 7 trucks on our street, and they stayed for hours.

I didn't know the woman who lived there.  I hear from neighbors that she was elderly, hardly left her home, and had some very unhealthy habits.  After waiting for a while with no news, the fire chief finally came over and told us that she didn't make it.  We do know the neighbors on each side- both families have little kids Jilly's age.  Thankfully there was very minimal damage to both of those units.  It was a sad and scary day for our neighborhood.

2 comments:

The Daytons said...

Oh my goodness:( so sad. We've had to call 911 a few times for Benson(he has food allergic reactions and asthma attacks), but the first few times we had to do it, I remember calling Ryan too, it just seems like something you think you'll never have to do, nor want to have to do, cause then something dangerous is happening. Good thing you were there to call though!

Janette said...

Oh my gosh! Crazy!
And I probably would have called my husband first too.