11.18.2011

Survival

We made it!  The irony of our trip was that Jilly was great on our 4.5 hour flight but much much less great on our 1.5 hour flight.  Guess that's better than the other way around.  Our survival mechanisms included:
- Dum dums: Jilly may have had 4 lollipops over the course of the day.  Don't judge.
- Walking up and down the aisle: people were so friendly and kind.
- The restroom: I've talked to other flying moms before and they agree- being in the restroom is such a relief, no one else is around and you have much more room than your little seat.  We may or may not have hung out in the restroom for much longer than a usual diaper change would have taken.
- Goldfish, graham crackers, pretzels: when she has a lot of food in her mouth it's more difficult to make noise.
- Stroller: You can take one baby item for free and I've always taken her car seat but this time my mom had a car seat we could use so I got an umbrella stroller and it made our time in the airport much more pleasant.
- Sky mall magazine: I let Jilly rip it to shreds then picked up all the pieces at the end of the flight.
- Ice: I let Jilly play with the leftover crushed ice from my water.  I didn't love having freezing cold ice pellets melting on my lap but it kept her very occupied.

Our second flight was rough because we only had a 30 minute layover which was not enough time for Jilly to get the wiggles out.  Then we flew through a huge storm so there was awful turbulence and we weren't allowed to stand up at all.  I would estimate Jilly screamed for 80% of the flight- not the most pleasant experience of our lives, but we made it and were so so glad to be home.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

So glad to hear it went well overall! And seriously, thank you SO much for the survival tips! Im flying with Grayson on Monday and hadn't thought of a few of those things. Dum-dums, brilliant idea! I'm all for letting them have special treats to help the trip go well! :)

Kirsten Krason said...

You are so brave. Flying with Jett scares me to death!

Janssen said...

I have learned to embrace candy.

Allison said...

Glad you got there!! Thanks for the bullets. I've flown with kids many a times but I still get terrified every time. Love the dumb dumb idea!!