8.05.2009

Once Upon a Time

I was a young eighteen year old girl walking into S Hall feeling completely scared to death. There were many wonderful girls that I met that year, but this post is dedicated to a girl named Lisa. She was everything I wasn't- tall, gorgeous, smart, athletic, funny, and did I mention tall? We had great times together that year and the years to follow. We rushed home from dates to tell each other every gushy detail, we made dinner together and chatted about the adventures of our day, we took fabulous trips to Disneyland, Hooper, and Salt Lake, we cheered our loudest at football games, had awesome dance parties, and sometimes Lisa would even play her guitar and sing for me before we went to bed. We agonized over difficult tests, and celebrated when those tests were over. I will never forget one January I had left my family after Christmas break and was coming back to a difficult semester and a terrible Utah winter. Tears flowed as I drove down from the airport. But Lisa was there to meet me on the stairs and practically carried me up to our apartment. She sat next to me all night as we laughed and cried about our fun breaks and the semester ahead of us. Lisa taught me what it means to be a good friend.

In the summer of 2007 we both married our Bryans from the Bay Area (conveniently they were roommates as well.) It was hard to know we would never be roommates again, but luckily we found apartments on the same block. We still went to ward activities together, double dated, had Just Girls nights, and visited, texted, emailed, or called to report on our day.

This week Lisa moved to California. As you can imagine, it was not the happiest event to occur in my life. I feel lost without my BYU buddy. For the past 5 years, we've pretty much shared every big event together. But the great thing about life these days is that even though we live far apart, we can still share every big event together. I owe S Hall many thanks for helping me find one of my dearest friends.

This is one of my favorite pictures of us (note the matchy scarves!) from our Sophomore year

4 comments:

Janssen said...

How sweet. It is HARD to let a good friend move away.

Lisa said...

Oh Rach. I had been so good and hadn't cried since coming to California . . . Until I read this. Thank you for this!! I don't deserve it, but I guess that's what makes you so nice. :) "So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart. And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
by being my friend."

{amy k.} said...

Good friends are such a blessing! I'm glad I got to meet Lisa! :)

naomi said...

And the guy photobombing in the background hahaha. Man, Freshman year was the best. I also love Lisa.