1.03.2016

Fourth Quarter Books 2015

My goal for the past few years has been to read 50 books in a year and I've never been successful.  But this year I did it!  It helped that I spent nearly a full week this summer listening to books while I unpacked and painted our house.  It also helped that I finally started listening to books at 1.5 or 2x speed.  It's been a great year for reading.

Excellent
42. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown - I LOVED this, definitely the best book I read in 2015.  It's similar to Unbroken in that it takes place pre-WWII and tells the story of the rowing team from the University of Washington that competed at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.  The book was inspiring and fascinating, and the audio version is read by Edward Hermann (Richard from Gilmore Girls.)

43. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier - I read this in high school and I remember it having a slow start, but eventually loving it.  We read it for book club this fall, and again it took me a little while to get into it but once I got halfway through I couldn't put it down.  It's the story of a young girl who marries a wealthy widower and moves with him to his estate where she is haunted by his beautiful previous wife Rebecca.

44. The Martian by Andy Weir - This was just as excellent as everyone says.  So funny and so fascinating how much of it is scientifically accurate.  I still haven't seen the movie, but I'm really  hoping Matt Damon lives up to the Mark Watney in my mind.

Great
45. One Plus One by Jojo Moyes - I checked this out from the library early last year and then promptly dropped it in a puddle.  The library of course wouldn't take it back so I had to pay for the book but I did get to keep it.  After all the hassle, I was really hoping it would be good.  I read most of it on the airplane on the way to California and I really enjoyed it.  Jess is a single mom struggling to make ends meet who through a series of unlikely events ends up on a road trip with Ed, who is very wealthy and also happens to be in a lot of trouble.  Some parts of the story were a bit kooky but I thought the end was really terrific.

46. In This Together by Ann Romney - I just really love Ann Romney.  I got the audio version and loved hearing her tell her own story.

Pretty Good
47. Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman - I've realized that I find parenting books much more palatable when I'm not an overtired, irrational, slightly hysterical mother of a newborn.  I thought parts of this were really interesting and helpful and the other parts I was happy to ignore. ;)

48. More Than Happy: the Wisdom of Amish Parenting by Serena B. Miller with Paul Stutzman - I kind of love reading parenting books from different cultures.  I enjoyed learning more about Amish parenting, but I felt like the author included a lot of her own opinions that I found a tad annoying.

49. Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand - This was a fluffy Christmas read; it could easily be made into one of those Christmas family drama movies.

Dumb
50. I Feel Bad About My Neck by Norah Ephron - Parts of this were funny but for the most part I just thought it was dumb.

First quarterSecond quarter, Third quarter

2 comments:

Monica said...

Look at you! I am seriously IMPRESSED that you read 50 books. I'm shooting for 30. You are right though, listening to them really is the key. I don't know why it's so hard for me to just download them, but that's where I get stuck. I'm so glad I got to rediscover your blog today and am LOVING your banner!!

Lisa said...

Rachel, can I give you my good reads password so you can just directly add your suggestions to my "want to read" list?! Haha, j/k. Seriously though, don't know what I'd read without you. Reading Boys In the Boat officially get an "excellent" Rachel Rating is enough to make me determined to read it. Especially because I loved Unbroken. I know I told you I'm on a WWII fast while I enjoyed lighthearted Regency era bonnet novels, but I promise I'll get serious again one day. In the meantime, I'm giving myself a break from Austen for a while (although seriously so good) and I may be reading Edenbrooke for a third time. Which is super embarrassing. But after reading the novelette written from Phillips perspective, I couldn't help myself. :)