7.24.2014

Stayin' Alive

Moving is no joke.   We are up to our ears in boxes and general disorder.  I think maybe someday we’ll get this place organized, but so far things have been sloooow going.  A few tidbits from our last few weeks:

+ Packing up and leaving was hard.  I was alone for the last few hours that the house was ours and I sobbed as I packed the remaining items and cleaned every room one last time.  That place was chock-full of memories and I hated to leave.

+ Our parents are amazing.  Bryan’s parents took Jilly and Mattie so we could load the truck without children underfoot.  Then when we got here my parents took both girls for a couple days then kept Jilly for nearly a whole week so we could unload and get a head start on unpacking.  My girls have the best grandparents in the world.

+ Before leaving we sold our cars so in our first few days here we had to purchase two new ones.  That was really, really fun and not stressful at all… (sigh.)

+ After one week in our new house we packed up and left for a week at the beach.  This was an excellent idea because we really needed the break and had a wonderful time (I’ll be sure to inundate you with pictures soon) but also a terrible idea because coming home from vacation is hard enough, coming home from vacation to a new home that is in total chaos really really stinks.

+ Because I like to needlessly stress, I was super worried about Jilly adjusting to the new house.  We got her room all set up first, and it looks nearly identical to her old room.  When she got here she immediately ran upstairs and I could hear her saying “Oh, it’s beautiful!”  She also loves the basement (which is a playroom) and having “my very own backyard.”

+Speaking of our house (more specifically townhome), it was built in 1949, which is amazing.  But this also means it has lots of character and quirks- we’ve had to adjust a bit but we’ll take it.

+ Ikea is equal parts my best friend and arch nemesis.  We are so lucky to have one only 15 minutes away, but it has stolen many, many hours of my life in the past couple weeks. 
another day, another Ikea trip 

+ Thanks to a little mess-up by me, and a big mess-up by Comcast we haven’t had tv for three weeks.  This actually hasn’t been as traumatic as I would have thought (too tired to watch) but I am very much looking forward to having it back at the end of this week.


+ More to come, hopefully sooner rather than later but I make no promises.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I've been waiting this!! What a blessing and curse to have IKEA so close. The only thing that stops me from going weekly is it's 30+ minutes away. No pressure, but...I love the updates! P.s. Is that the futon you're going to get? Looks nice!

The Daytons said...

Good Luck with the rest of moving! Moving seriously is HARD. We are still have some boxes not unpacked(just a few) from a year ago, I'm thinking of trashing them:) I haven't used them in a year right?! No, but really good luck, and in a few months when things have calmed down a bit, we'll have to get together!

ComcastCares1 said...

Hi there!

Congrats on your new place. I read that there was a little mix-up with your Comcast service. I work for Comcast and I can reach out to my local colleagues to look into this.

If you are interested in my help, please don;t hesitate to contact me.

ComcastMark
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Shauna said...

And this is exactly why I make Rog commute all the way up to school and his internship. Moving is such a pain! Hope you get everything all organized and put together soon!