11.21.2010

Success!

I'm writing this primarily so we can remember the details of Jilly's entrance to life.  But, my second reason is to provide hope for all who are nervous about labor.  I was blessed with what I think was the easiest labor and delivery known to womankind.  I don't know why I got so lucky because in case you haven't noticed I also got lucky enough to have the most darling baby (but I may be a little biased.)


On Friday night we went to Skipolini's for the Prego Pizza.  I really wasn't expecting much, just a fun way to end what had been a long and depressing day.  The pizza was intense- every topping you could imagine and more garlic than I normally eat in a year- but it was pretty good.  Before going to bed at 11 I told Bryan I was disappointed that I felt great, no labor signs at all.  


At midnight I woke up with contractions and I was surprised to find that they were coming 2 minutes apart.  This was not what I had expected at all so I waited a while to make sure it was real.  At 1:00 I woke up Bryan, who immediately sprung into action throwing things into the car while I saw to the more important details like putting on makeup and finding some earrings to wear (and hunching over in pain every 2 minutes.)  Bryan gave me a much needed blessing of comfort then we headed off to the hospital.  

By 2:30 we were at the hospital and I was hooked up to a variety of monitors.  The nurse said the beautiful words, "You're dilated 5 cm, we're having a baby today!"  At 4:00 I got my epidural and after that it was smooth sailing, I couldn't feel a thing.  They turned out all the lights in the room and brought us warm blankets.  We both dozed from 4-7 as nurses came in and out checking on things.  

(looks comfortable, right?)

At 7am they told me it was time to push.  This was a little difficult and interesting since I could still feel absolutely nothing.  But everyone coached me and at 7:32 my little Jillian Kate arrived. She was absolutely perfect in every way.


6 comments:

Shauntel said...

I'm such a huge fan of epidurals! Granted, I still looked rather scary after Belle's grand entrance (and you kind of look like a supermodel, FYI), but that epidural made life breezy.

I'm glad things went so well for you and your little Jillian. She's precious.

Jenna said...

Congrats, she's beautiful! Epidurals are absolutely amazing, huh?! I felt nothing as well. It was a such a blessing as I'm sure you agree! :)

Emily said...

I'm so thrilled to hear that everything went so well! I hope I will follow in your footsteps! She is so darling!

Julie said...

Yea!!! Congrats on having a super delivery of Jillian. Hopefully the rest of her life will go just as smoothly. :)

Suzie Soda said...

Wow..that is so awesome. I wish I could have had a baby that way. No epidurals in my day. So glad you got to enjoy it, Can't wait to hear all the details from your mom. xoxo

Anna said...

You are such a lucky woman!! Pray for the rest of us up and comers.