2.15.2009

LOVE is in the air

"You know how lots of kids get really excited for their birthday, or for Christmas? Well, Rachel gets excited for Valentine's Day." -Bryan

Yes, my favorite holiday has come and gone, but it came and went with all of the red, pink, hearts, and happiness I could have asked for. Here are some of my favorite moments:

Apparently, it is necessary to have a Valentine in fourth grade. I really thought my kids weren't into the whole boy-girl thing at all. I'm still not sure if I was being completely oblivious, or if they just make an exception for V-day. But, all (okay, maybe not all, but many) of the kids picked a Valentine and brought a special gift for that person. There were chocolate roses, real roses, super huge candy bars and the likes showing up all over Room 19. Here's the best part. One of my little darlings emailed me the night before Valentines,
"hey i know you told us to tell you who our valentine is so mine is david it seems a little weard but he asked me so i said yes but the only reason i said yes is cuze i want the treat but don't tell him i said that!!" (You can tell I copy and pasted because that is the exact spelling and lack of punctuation a fourth grader would use)
I'm grateful that my girls are learning at a young age that a Valentine is worth it for the treat. We teach important truths in fourth grade.

School was crazy and fabulous. We had an awesome party, my kids gave me enough chocolate to last 2 years- Bryan and I will eat it all in 2 days, and we had a Valentines Box contest that had some spectacular entries.

On Saturday it was time to celebrate for real. Katie and Chad came over for my first ever "Valentines Breakfast Party." I'm thinking of making it a tradition because it was a huge success. Everyone wore red and pink pajamas and we ate the most delicious omelets (made by Bryan), strawberries, and cranberry juice.

That night Bry and I splurged and went to Tepanyaki. He had never been before, and I love places like that. It was very entertaining and delicious. My favorite part was when I caught my shrimp! (For those of you who have never been, the guy cooking your food always tosses a shrimp for you to catch in your mouth.) I don't want to say any names, but not everyone at the table was able to catch their shrimp...

Afterwards we just hung out at home. We ate about half of the treats that cover our kitchen counter, drank some sparkling cider, and then I bawled my eyes out as we watched A Walk to Remember.

It was a good day, a very very good day. Now I guess I just have to wait for next year!

5 comments:

Janssen said...

Rachel, I totally might have to steal the idea for the Valentine's Day breakfast. How fun is that?!

I love that you love this holiday almost more than any others.

Strong Clan said...

Rachel I love that you watched Walk to Remember. That is awesome! I also have to tell you that you would have LOVED to be in the 6th grade..wow love was in the air! Love you and glad that you had fun!

Lisa said...

Fun! Don't worry, I bawl my eyes out EVERY time I watch, well, pretty much every movie. But including A Walk to Remember. I'm glad you had a good Valentine's Day!

Katie Rich said...

I clicked on the link to your page and a warning from blogspot showed up that content on your page may be unsuitable for children. Is there something that I am missing?

{amy k.} said...

I'm glad you guys had such a fun day! That's funny you went to Tepanyaki because Jeff and I went to a place called Yamato- which is the same type of restaurant! I love that food! :)