9.01.2016

"the purple room"

When we first started talking to the girls about sharing a room last spring Mattie said she wanted a purple room.  Jilly was game, and we thought giving her a purple room would help ease any concern Mattie had over losing her own bedroom to the baby.  

I started looking but had the hardest time finding anything purple that I really liked.  Finally I found this fabric (we actually found it the day we also found out we were having a third girl, it felt like a good omen) and it was a color combination I could work with.  I asked my mother-in-law to make pillowcases with the fabric (because I'm lazy) and she did a wonderful job.  I really searched for purple quilts but couldn't find anything.  These reversible pink comforters were $20 each from Amazon and they're nothing amazing but will be just fine.  We were so lucky that my parents were getting a new queen bed in one bedroom and wanted to get rid of their bunk bed.  My mom and sisters drove it down one day and after I gave it a couple coats of white paint Bryan put it together.  All four of us have had painful collisions between our heads and the bunk but other than that it's been a huge success.



We got this dresser on Craigslist last year and it had been in Mattie's room waiting for some love.  I painted it white with purple ombre drawers and found some really cute "crystal" drawer pulls on Amazon.  I think it looks SO much better and it fits all the girls' clothes (except our vast collection of dresses in the closet) so I'm happy with it.


^ This picture was taken before we set up the bunk bed, now the bunk bed would be the reflection in the mirror!

This is the third house we've set up our trusty old rain gutter bookshelves and I still love them.  


And the other side of the room...complete with an undressing Snow White.  The plan was/is to paint the room a light purple.  But, this paint still looks pretty good and I don't mind the color and we just plain ran out of steam so it's going to stay green for a while.  Every once in a while one of the girls will ask when it will be purple and I just say "sometime soon."  So the "purple room" has turned out to be much more of a pink room, but the girls love the new stuff and love sharing a room so they haven't complained at all about the color, thank goodness!

tje 

3 comments:

Shauna said...

That dresser looks so good! Love the whole room! I'm having fun decorating Peyton's girl room. I also told her we could paint it purple, but I'd kind of rather leave it as is for now until we find out what our 4th (and final) kid is since she will have to share with it or with one of the boys. (Not pregnant and not planning on becoming pregnant for at least another year, just planning way ahead!)

Suzie Soda said...

Rachel you are so good at decorating and do such a good job. I think it is fun your girls are sharing a room. I always wanted a sister so I think this is awesome. Everything looks so cute. Good Luck ...baby will be here before you know it. You look great. xoxo

Lisa said...

Holy cow the whole room looks amazing!! That dresser is so stinking cute!!