9.08.2009

Rachel on Politics

I don't claim to be extremely political, but I am interested in politics even if I don't always understand all the issues. This week my role as an elementary school teacher threw me into a dramatic political adventure.

When I first heard about Pres. Obama's speech to the kids, I'll admit my first reaction was, "Sweet, 30 minutes of peace that I don't have to plan or worry about managing my kids." Not the most noble of reactions. But as the controversy unfolded I couldn't believe how ridiculous some people were being. Of course we're showing our kids a speech on education and staying in school from the President of the United States. I am no big Obama fan, nor did I vote for him but he is our president. He is the man that Americans chose to lead us at this time and I refuse to hope that he will fail. I think it is terribly un-American to deny children the right to hear an inspirational message from their president.

Needless to say, I did show the speech in my class today. Our district sent a letter home telling parents that we were going to show it, but that they could opt out of it if they wanted. None of my students brought a note, so we all watched together. I thought it was great. I was surrounded by my sweet children, many of whom do not have money or an ideal family situation. These kids have a difficult life ahead of them, and I'm so grateful that they could be inspired and motivated to realize what they can achieve. They were excited that the president cared enough to talk to them, and I could tell it really made a difference to them. I even got a little teary-eyed as I participated in this special event, and I felt very proud to be an American.

8 comments:

{amy k.} said...

I didn't realize how big of a deal this was until Tiff talked to me about it. I can understand why parents would be upset if tey didn't have access to the speech... and I think it'd be nice if families could watch it together so parents could discuss questions as they arise from the children. But, I think it's important for the children to know who the president is and listen to what he has to say, especially when it's directed to them! And, it was a good speech too...glad your class enjoyed it!

Strong Clan said...

I am so glad that you are a teacher. I am so glad I got to teach with you. I am so glad that you too feel that watching the president speak is important. I love you tons and tons!

Kirsten Krason said...

I am glad you watched it. It's not like he was sharing some terrorist message or anything. Goodness.

Megan & Matt said...

I so second what you said. I'm glad that you are liking your class this year and things are going well!

Madelyn said...

The district I am doing my student teaching in apparently decided to not show it. So we weren't allowed to watch the speech. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. I mean he is our President and he's not going to try and brainwash the kids into changing health care or something.

Suzie Soda said...

Rachel..the controversy was about the lesson plans that were originally attached to follow afterward from the Dept, of education. And this was not the original speech he was going to give. I agreed that people went a little over board. The speech was good...sounded like a republican wrote it....do your best because everything depends on you.......not the GOVERNMENT.If only I believed that is what the president believed. His core beliefs ( from his past and present) don't really support this idea. But it was good for the kids to hear..because they do need to work hard and take personal responsibility.Enough....I can go crazy with all the hypocrisy.

Janssen said...

Those kids are lucky to have you!

Vanessa said...

Haha, my reaction was kind of the opposite of yours. I was all in a huff because the President wanted to take away some of my precious teaching time to make himself look good by saying motivating things to kids. Fortunately, I had a prep period the time that it aired, so my teaching time was not interrupted. After all the hype, I decided that I wanted to watch it and see what he had to say. I was blown away. The speech was amazing, and everything he said was how I feel and what I believe. It was basic common sense stuff that will help the kids succeed in school and grow up to be the leaders of this nation. I hope that they listened and understood.