7.13.2010

Folsom, CA

Last week Bryan got a job offer in Folsom, California.  We are so grateful for this opportunity and excited to be moving on, but I can't help feeling that this is moving us in the opposite direction I was hoping for.  Basically I cried for three days straight last week trying to wrap myself around this new idea.  I'm scared to death to leave our friends and the life we've known here in Provo, and it makes me ill to think of the 3,000 miles that will separate me and the rest of my family.  But, it's time to go and this is the place for us so onward and upward!

To comfort my teary soul I've been doing lots of research on our new home.  We're not sure if we'll actually live in Folsom or one of the surrounding areas (we'll decide that next week when we go out to find a place.)  But here are some of the awesome things about Folsom:
- It's only an hour and a half away from Bryan's parents.  It will be so fun and helpful to have them close by.
- It has an outlet mall (yea!), Target, Michaels, Costco, and all other essentials
- The Sacramento Airport is close- and it looks like I'm going to be a frequent flyer
- The Sacramento Temple is nearby
- It has a library
- It looks (and everyone says) it is a really pretty area- I'm hoping to be surrounded by trees again
- It has a hospital (Bryan said, "great, I can do crazy things on my mountain bike and not have to go too far if I get hurt,"  I said, "I was thinking more along the lines of we can have a baby.")
- Yes, it has a prison that Johnny Cash sings about (and every single person we've told about the move has reminded us of this:)  )
- There's a 32 mile walk/bike trail around the city- hopefully will be helpful in saying adios to baby weight
- If the trail doesn't do the trick there's a "Hot Hula" class at the local 24 Hour Fitness
- We've heard that there are a lot of church members there, so we're hoping they'll take care of us and be our friends.

We have a whirlwind month before we work on moving- a trip to California to see family and friends and check out our new casa, a visit from my family once we're back in Utah, and Bryan's graduation in August.  Then we're hitting the real world.  It's definitely not going to be easy, but I know it's going to be good.

11 comments:

Janssen said...

Isn't moving hard? Even when you know it's the right thing, it is SO scary to leave the known for the unknown. Good luck - you'll do great!

Jana said...

You won't be too far! Folsom is a great area! I grew up in Elk Grove which is maybe 20 miles away and we always went up that way to go shopping at the Roseville galleria! Plus if you get Cafe Rio withdrawals there is a Costa Vida!! The Sacramento temple is VERY close and there are so many GREAT people there! Congratulations on the job offer and good luck with the move!!!

Lisa said...

I know this will be a hard move, but if there's anyone who can bloom where they're planted, it's you. And I have no doubt you will make more friends than you know what to do with. Not to mention your friend a few hours down the road who will be dying to visit you!

Judi said...

Good luck Rach! I am just so grateful he got a job. The economy is pretty crazy out there. You look so cute pregnant. How are you doing?? How close will you be to lisa? Wow, that was a lot of questions. Anyways, thinking about you and how the real world is not that fun! Ha. Actually it is fun because there is no homework!

Emily said...

Your absence will certainly be noticed around here but we are so excited for you and Bryan to start this new chapter! You gotta let us know how that Hula class works out!!

kali said...

How funny - we wrote fairly similar posts the same day!
Congratulations! It sounds like a great place to live!

Jenna said...

I really like California, my hubby's family is also there. Sounds like it'll be a nice place, congrats and good luck!

bec said...

I lived in Roseville for awhile growing up and I loved it. You are lucky to be closer to the ocean! That's something I would love about CA. If you like asian food, my favorite restaurant in the world is called Bobo's cafe. I think there are 4 in the Sac area so check it out!

Suzie Soda said...

Congratulatons on an exciting adventure. Hope all goes well. xoxoxo

Lorel said...

Hey Rachel! i just found your blog. Congrats on the job offer! My older sister, Lenore, lives in Folsom and LOVES it. Her husband works for Intel there. Everything they would ever want or need is right there and they rarely have to use the interstate for everything just because there is so much in town. They live 5 minutes from the temple, shops, about 5 different parks/spray areas. Awesome place for families. I think you will love it! Congrats on the pregnancy too. How exciting!

Britters said...

RACH! Congrats but I will miss you! how bittersweet! I need, NEED to see you before you leave!