9.26.2012

Pumpkin Recipe #1

I have high hopes for lots and lots of pumpkin this fall.  Yummm, I feel like I've been waiting for this all year!  Our first recipe was pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting.  This is Bryan's mom's recipe and very likely Bryan's favorite cookie of all time.

 Cookies:
1 cup shortening (I didn't have enough this time so I used half shortening and half butter and they turned out just fine)
3 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Cream together shortening and sugar.  Beat in eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla.  Mix dry ingredients and add to the mixture, then mix well.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Frost when cool.

Frosting:
1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 box powdered sugar (I'm not sure how much this is, I just add it until it seems the right consistency)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix until creamy.

This makes a lot of cookies.  I halved the recipe this week and got about 30 cookies.  We gave plates to a few friends and polished off the rest in 3 days.

1 comments:

Steph said...

Oh my gosh, these look delicious! I have a friend who has been looking for new pumpkin recipes this fall :) Can't wait to make them!