9.12.2012

Christmas Advent Calendar

I had some leftover fabric from the stockings I made last Christmas so I browsed pinterest and came up with an advent calendar.  I didn't want to be scrambling on November 30th, so I got it done early.  And ever since I started thinking about Christmas, I can't stop!  I want jingle bells, Christmas cookies, and a decorated tree.  But, until these things are appropriate, I'll just enjoy my calendar.  Here's how you can make one too. 

You need-
Christmas fabric
batting
fusible webbing
printed numbers 1-24
felt (1 sheet of red and 1 sheet of green were plenty for me)
bias tape
wooden dowel
** You don't have to use batting, you can just make fabric pockets.  I wanted mine to be a little thicker.  If you don't use batting, start at step 6)

1. Cut out 24 squares of batting approximately 4 1/2 inches long (doesn't have to be exact, but can't be smaller)
2. Cut out 24 strips 8 1/2 in x 4 1/2 in.  I used leftover fabric from my Christmas stockings
3. On the back side of the fabric strips make a mark halfway along the long sides (at 4 1/4 in)
4. Pin a square of batting onto each rectangle at the halfway mark.  The side of batting along the halfway marks should have a straight edge, but none of the others need to.
5. Sew around the square as close to the edge as you can.  Repeat for all pieces of fabric.
6. Decide what order you want the fabric pieces to be in on the calendar.  Either leave the pieces sitting out in the order you want or take a picture to keep handy.  (This will make sense in the next few steps)
6. Print then cut out the numbers 1-24.  (I used Bernard MT Condensed font in size 180.)
7. For every number, cut out a piece of felt and a piece of fusible webbing the same size.  Make sure you choose the color of felt you want for each color of fabric.  (for example- my green plaid fabric was first and I wanted a red number on that fabric so I made my 1 out of red felt.)   
8. Peel off one side of the paper on the webbing and iron the fusible webbing to the felt.
9. Pin together in this order- felt on bottom, fusible webbing in middle, and number on top backwards and facing down.  Then carefully cut out the numbers.
10. Fold your fabric in half so it is now a square
11. Peel off the paper on the back of the numbers and iron them to their correct squares.  Be sure to do this on the side of the square that does not have the stitching from sewing the batting and the fabric together (this is a mistake I made as you can see.)
12. Once all your numbers are ironed on fold each piece of fabric so right sides are together.  
13. Stitch around the three edges (not along the fold) and leave about a 1 1/2 inch opening along the bottom.  (Sew inside the stitch you already made to connect the batting to the fabric.)  Then snip off the corners and pull the pocket through the hole you left open.

14. Iron your pockets flat then topstitch along the top edge about 1/2 inch from the top.  
15. Pin the pockets on the large piece of felt (with help from your little assistant.) It would probably be a good idea to measure and make sure your pockets are evenly placed, but let's be honest, I am way too lazy to do that.  Sew the pockets to the felt around the 3 bottom edges (leave the top open so it's a pocket!)
16. Pin the binding around your felt.  Be sure to fold over the end and overlap it.  Then sew it on!

17. To make straps to hold the calendar up cut 5 pieces of fabric 4 in x 7 in.  Fold over and press the short ends about 1/2 inch.
 18.  Fold the strips in half lengthwise, right sides together, and stitch up the long side so you have a tube.
 19. Use a safety pin to pull the tube through so it is right side out.
 20. Loop the strips and decide where you want them to go then stitch them on along the same seam you made for the binding.  Slide a wooden dowel along those babies.

 And you are done!

9 comments:

Emily said...

You did such a great job with this!! It is just darling- and certainly puts me in a Christmas mood! I've been searching at some of these on Pinterest too- you've inspired me to get going on it!! So cute!

Emily said...

Oh one more question- what are you putting inside each day? Will it be an ornament for a felt tree or an activity to do with your kids, or what? I'm always curious!

Katie said...

Your advent calendar is beautiful, but I am SO not ready to think about Christmas yet. AH!

The Daytons said...

Rachel, this is awesome, thanks so much for the tutorial, you are so ahead of the game this year, I need to get working:)

Suzie Soda said...

You are so amazing....love this! You are so organized and motivated. Good for you! xoxo

Erick and Megan said...

You made a tutorial! That is amazing! I'm pinning it right now so everyone else can see it too! And you already know how to put words on your pics I see!

Unknown said...

been looking and searching for a simple easy way to make it, have neckties from my husband and want to make a calander keepsake for our grandson, and there we are found and will be my next project. thanks so much.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Love the easy instructions going to make mine from my husband's old ties as a gift for our yr old grandson. It's working so far. X