2.21.2012

Sweet Butter Syrup

When we got married I learned that one of the things Bryan insists on is homemade syrup.  It isn't difficult to make and is super cheap so I was always happy to oblige even though it didn't make a huge difference to me.

Then one year we went to a free Fourth of July breakfast at Macey's in Provo.  They served the most delicious syrup I had ever tasted in my life.  Luckily, they also provided the recipe.  This stuff is liquid gold; I'm obsessed with it.  This syrup plus this pancake recipe equals my very very favorite meal.

Sweet Butter Syrup

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp light corn syrup
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Cook first four ingredients til boiling then add 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp vanilla.

*I don't always have buttermilk on hand, but you can easily substitute it with a little less than 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 tbl vinegar (let the vinegar and milk sit together for about 5 minutes before adding)

0 comments: