7.21.2009

What will you do the next day?

Two years ago, after all of our wedding festivities were over Bryan and I were heading back to Provo. My brother-in-law asked me what I was going to do for the next month until school started. I told him, unpack and organize our apartment, go through the changing my name process, set up my new classroom, start planning for the school year, run errands, cook dinner, etc. After listening to my long list he said, "So, what will you do the next day?" (At that point I hadn't had very much experience with brothers so I didn't know what to do, now I would know to slug him, or at least try to convince Bryan to give him a nice bruise.)

I spent that month doing all of the things on my list and staying very busy. I even felt like I could have used a few more weeks before school started (doesn't that always happen?)

I'm back in the same situation- 1 month (actually a little less) until school starts and it seems as though I have oodles of time. But I feel like I am always busy- whether it be getting ready for school, church stuff, writing those brothers on missions, grocery shopping, other errands, laundry, taking care of car/insurance stuff, cleaning my apartment, or making dinner. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of time to read, work on my sewing skills (basically non-existent), play with my new computer, blog, and visit family and friends. But there is never a time when I really feel bored or lazy because there is always so much to do!

I can see how it's difficult to be a stay-at-home mom. Even though I always feel busy, I hardly ever feel like I've accomplished everything I needed to do that day. And I can't even imagine throwing a baby into the mix. I think my productivity rate will go down by about 97% when I have children to take care of as well. The other thing that's frustrating is that I feel like all I do is spend money without contributing to the family finances. But I guess we just have to look back on our days and appreciate the things we were able to do. Clean clothes and a full refrigerator are necessary for a family to function, even though they may seem small. And that's why we're in families anyway, so we can all use our own time and abilities to help each other make it through this wonderful life.

1 comments:

Kirsten Krason said...

I know exactly what you mean.