7.15.2009

Unlucky or Lucky?

On Monday morning I got in a car accident. It was terrible. It's taken until today for me to get up the nerve to write about it. Other than some scrapes and whiplash, I walked away just fine, and so did the other driver. Our car wasn't so lucky though- it's a goner. Calling my husband to tell him that I wrecked his car was probably one of the most unpleasant things I've ever had to do. He was so sweet though, he just kept saying 'I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.' And I kept thinking, 'Isn't that what I'm supposed to be saying??'

After I got home that afternoon I sat on the floor sobbing uncontrollably. I felt so bad about wrecking Bryan's car, I felt so dumb that I got in an accident, I worried about all the money we would have to spend, my whole body ached from the impact, and I kept reliving the accident in my mind over and over again. I felt completely alone. Then I looked up and saw a picture of the Savior on our wall and remembered Elder Holland saying, "One of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path."

It was then that I realized that I was alive and unharmed. I know I was being looked after that morning because it was a miracle I wasn't injured. I could wallow about what a nightmarish experience it was, or I could realize how blessed I am. It took a very unlucky event for me to realize what a lucky girl I am. Lucky to have a wonderful husband, supportive family and friends, and a Savior who never leaves us alone.

7 comments:

Strong Clan said...

Rachel I am so sorry you were in an accident, but I am so glad that you are okay. If I have learned anything this summer it is that Heavenly Father watches over all of his children, and protects those who believe in his love. I am so glad you are okay!
Also...husbands rock, it is amazing how strong they are when we are not! Love you!

Lisa said...

Rachel, this made me tear up. I'm so sorry you had to go through this horrible experience. I'm so glad you always keep your spiritual tank full so you can draw on it on moments like this and remember quotes like that. You are amazing and I love you!

Vanessa said...

Rachel, I am so glad that you did not get seriously injured and I am glad that you were able to find peace in Christ.

Your experience reminds me of another good part of Elder Holland's talk: "the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven, family members... All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel."

Sounds like you have all of these people caring for you.

{amy k.} said...

Oh Rach- I'm so glad you're okay. I'm glad I was able to talk to you the other day. Isn't it amazing how the Lord watches out for us? And I think he blesses our husbands with extra patience and understanding and love at these times. Plus, you have a great husband as it is. You're a lucky girl. And I'm a lucky girl to have you as a sister! Love ya!

Ty and Ash Sorensen said...

Rach! I am so glad you are ok. You are so amazing! I miss you and love you tons! Lets get together soon!

Kali and JT said...

ooh let me tell you I know how you feel!!! I am so glad you are ok and able to have such great perspective about it, I just kept crying like a big baby! You are amazing lady!

Suzie Soda said...

So glad you are ok......these things are good reminder calls. You got the message..you always do. xoxoxo