1.25.2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu

For those of you privileged enough to live at DT, you'll fondly remember the Morris Center.  I have good memories of playing the drink game (you put 3 different drinks in a cup, swish it around, and see if another person can guess what they're drinking), making waffles, and balancing a million dishes on my tray and praying that I wouldn't trip as I walked across the room.  But, the food doesn't offer many good memories.  I truly think they invented that place just so we'd learn to appreciate our mothers' cooking.  I dreaded dinner time, except for when I used my blessed dining plus card to take me somewhere exotic like Legends, the MOA Cafe, or Taco Bell.

However, there was one meal that made my heart twitter- Chicken Cordon Bleu.  They had it every other Sunday at the Morris.  My legs would shake and my mouth would water all through church in anticipation of the fine cuisine that awaited me.  I remember one time it was supposed to be CCB day but they served something else- I almost packed my things and left BYU right then.  I LOVED that CCB and in following years proceeded to bug every freshman I knew to let me know when it was being served and to please let me come eat with them.

Because I have such fond memories of this dish, I had not dared to make it on my own.  I was afraid I would ruin this precious Morris Center memory.  But, in the past couple weeks something great has happened at our house- I've started making dinner again- and I decided to go for it.  I used this recipe, and although it did not turn out perfectly and did not hold up to Morris Center standards, it was pretty darn good.  The only thing lacking was some BYU Creamery Cookies and Cream ice cream to finish off the meal.

Oh, the memories...

2 comments:

Janssen said...

I LOVED that stuff too. My roommate, though, that it looked like little hamsters and would go to her uncle's house for dinner every other Sunday to avoid it.

Lindsay Marie said...

Clayton used to come to dinner with me just to get the CCB. Good times! We were on a kick a few summers back while at my parents' house and cooked them on the grill- slightly different result but just as good.

Thanks for the link to Mel's Kitchen Cafe- I'm loving her recipes. I tried out the Coconut Curry Soup this weekend and it was SO good. Try it!