3.31.2011

Fabric Ribbon Thingy

Jillian has gotten to the point where she needs to constantly be entertained.  She's no longer happy to just sit and watch what's going on.  She also now believes that any item is best studied by tasting it.  The other day she was sitting in the bumbo on the kitchen counter and she managed to slide the lid off the sugar jar and had her hand in the sugar.  Luckily I caught her before that sugary hand made it to her mouth!  So I decided this new toy was much needed.  I have no idea what these are called so I call it her fabric ribbon thingy.  It was quite easy to make and, my favorite part, it was completely free!

If anyone is planning on making one, here are some tips:
- I put an old plastic wipes bag in between the fabric to make it crunchy, but now I'm wondering if it will be too loud for church
- After I finished I realized that my ribbon loops aren't all the same size which is annoying.  But ripping out the seam, re-pinning, and re-sewing are so not my thing.  So, we're going to deal with uneven ribbon loops.  But, if you want your ribbon loops to be even, just pin them to the right side of one piece of fabric (with loops facing in) and then once the ribbons are pinned you can pin the other piece of fabric on top (right sides together.)  This way you can see what the ribbons will look like instead of pinning them blindly in a sandwich like I did. 
- After I finished sewing the 2 fabrics together I topstitched a double layer around which did wonders to make it look more crisp.

I think she likes it!

2 comments:

Jana said...

DARLING! you're so creative! i made lily a crinkly owl during her nap (during her obsession with things that crinkled) when she was probably jilly's age and i was so proud and when she got up from her nap she wouldn't even give it the time of day. i felt defeated :)

Suzie Soda said...

Very cute idea.....I love your colors. xoxo